Possiblity to integrate large software installations during Windows install?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WB3000, Jun 19, 2010.

1. WB3000

WB3000 MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2010
    Pardon me if this has already been answered, but with the ability to run a Windows 7 install from a USB based medium, wouldn't it be possible to integrate/slipstream large software suites like Office/CS5 into the install with silent configurations?

I haven't worked with Vista/7 type install tweaks, but in the XP days I used to create ISOs with software like Firefox, GIMP, etc. bundled in. Wouldn't there be a similar method to do this today, especially with the sizes of USB media far exceeding DVD capacity?

2. techie1

techie1 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    #2 techie1, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    In my opinion, the easiest way to do this is to do a clean install of windows and then install everything you want including updates. After that, sysprep the machine and capture it into an install.wim file. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit can be used for all of this. I have used this method for Office 07 and CS4. Let me know if you have any questions about this method.

Edit: You don't actually need MDT. That just helps automate image creation and deployment.

3. paulpp

paulpp MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2010
    I was looking for the same thing aswell, when you say sysrep the machine how do i do thar, im pretty new to all of this kind of stuff

4. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Im a novice with sysprepping myself, but i do know you can type sysprep in the cmd, and have an unattended.xml in the windows\panther or windows\sysprep dirs. You should google it and read about it straight from microsofts mouth.

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. techie1

techie1 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    A method that does not require Microsoft Deployment Toolkit was posted here: hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/20130-Help-Install-programs-with-OS-install?p=290997#post290997
    I also explained how to sysprep in that thread.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You will get more information over on MSFN forums in the unattented install section.

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Just another point on the sysprep idea with a complete install as the base.

This is really only useful to organisations that need to install the OS and software on a large number of computers which have the same hardware specs otherwise it doesn't work.

If you install the OS and all the software you want to use you can achieve the same effect wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more easily by simply backing up the working system - trying to sysprep it is a lot of work for no value - OK it is instructive.

With a decent backup program you can clone the system to any harddisk and Acronis includes Universal restore to remove hardware limitations - or so they claim.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Rosco, acronis universal restore is not included with acronis trueimage home you need to buy Acronis True Image Home 2010 Plus Pack addon.