Post-login welcome screen loads . . . and loads . . . and loads . . .

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by swooshycueb, Oct 6, 2010.

1. swooshycueb

swooshycueb MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2010
    I have W7a64, and I haven't had this problem until just recently.

I start up windows and log in (I have detailed status notifications on for the welcome screen) and it goes to "Please Wait for the User Profile Service" and it loads . . . and it loads . . . and it loads . . . and it loads . . . and it loads until it moves on to the next part, then it loads . . . and it loads . . . and it loads . . . and it loads . . . and it loads and so on. In the end it takes about 40 minutes to log on. Same for logging off, but not for locking/unlocking the screen. This doesn't happen in safe mode, however. I've already tried Startup Repair, but it didn't help.

Please help!
    Thanks in advance

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Try creating a different account. It sounds like the account data is corrupt. That should fix it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    No, you are right. Something changed recently that is causing issues during login.

The machine boots normally to the login prompt, and you log in.
    Then, it gives the welcome message with spinning icon for a long time ( 1 minute on my i7 box ).
    Then it gives a black screen for a long time ( 1-2 minutes here ) with a working mouse pointer.
    Eventually, the desktop appears and all is normal.

Total login time is many minutes.

I've not done a logged boot yet, but event viewer does not show any problems: just long delays between certain events.

Some update has pooped it, but I need to do some boot logging to find out what.

--
    SC

4. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    this is something causing delays with connecting to windows service. This is known for me to happen if having more external drives connected since boot. Resulting in tray icon notify about failing to connect to windows service. If you have added an external hardware try to disconnect it. also it looks opening user profile before logon is performed.

5. swooshycueb

swooshycueb MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2010
    OK, I ran a registry cleanup & defrag, and everything's back to normal.