Post your install scenerios using 14.99 or 39.99 upgrade keys.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dolorous Edd, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Post your install scenarios with the upgrade keys.

I performed a clean install, booting to an RTM DVD, deleted the partition, created and formatted a new one, installed with successful activation.

Later I may try it with a bare drive to see if it balks at not having a bare drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Just completed and activated an inplace upgrade of 7 ultimate to 8 pro using RTM media and a 14.99 key. No registry tweak.

Haven't done a bare drive yet. I only have one upgrade key left and I don't have A PC that I want to activate it on yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Just got my 69.99 (physical version of 39.99) Pro Upgrade disc(s) in the mail and used the key on my MSDN Pro installed computer and it worked without a hitch.

I own 3 other computers besides this one, and attempted to use the key on them, but it said it was already in use by another computer. I got around that by calling the support line and saying Zero when they asked how many pcs this was used on - and magically, it worked. I remember doing this for vista lonnnnng time ago.

Regardless, thanks MDL for the KMS servers to hold me over until this great day, cheers! :thumbsup:

4. latinkreationz

latinkreationz MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2010
    I purchased the $14.99 upgrade key, formatted my HDD and installed using MSDN Windows 8 Pro x64. Activated successfully! Then I added the free WMC add-on and also successful.

5. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    working fine here with the msdn iso.

6. valkyrie2413

valkyrie2413 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2012
    #6 valkyrie2413, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    just recently bought one upgrade key, still in progress.

thanks to daz for its loader now i can upgrade with no hassle..

is the upgrade key can use both 32bit and 64bit?

7. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    yes it works for either. but know you will get the same version as you already have installed from the download through the upgrade. so if you run x64 you will get a x64 download. otherwise you should be fine

8. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    got the 39.95 and the free media center pack installed and kept programs and data installed and all went well except Kaspersky 2012 and acronis was incompatible I had another year on Kaspersky so I upgraded to 2013 and that worked. I played halflife 2 it worked great, it wasn't as hard getting around as I thought it would im still a mouse jocky , just click on to desktop and its just like windows 7 clicked on internet explorer and it was just about the same even my explorer bar was there, I had more trouble trying to turn the computer off lol. :rolleyes:
    P.S this puter was daz activated so for all that were worried about activation "IT WORKS" :ball2:

9. jackie_jagger

jackie_jagger MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Finally a thread that this method works and doesn't show up the "upgrade key only" - thank you.

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Not sure, if you find out let us know.

11. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    yes tried it on both works for both x86 and x64

12. jackie_jagger

jackie_jagger MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    BTW guys when you boot into the Windows 8 dvd/USB - when asked to insert the key, do you use the keys gotten off the upgrade assistant and it's activated? or do we use the random keys found here to install and then use the upgrade assistant key once booted into Windows 8 desktop?

Thanks

13. mastershake

mastershake MDL Member

Aug 1, 2012
    i added the cfg file to allow you to bypass the key and add it manually later

14. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I used the Upgrade assistant on my Win7 activated with BIOS mod, and with a US VPN I bought the $14.99 upgrade key, downloaded and burned ISO to dvd, then booted and installed Win8 Pro on a second partition (dual boot with win7). Then installed the WMC key.

All working just fine, Windows 7 still BIOS activated, Windows 8 Retail activated with no issues.

15. shabador

shabador MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2007
    Booted win 8 usb key made from the Windows upgrade assistant, cleaned harddrive, converted to GPT and installed windows with 14,99 key.

Entered windows unactivated, ran the registry tweak, rearm and rebooted: Activated successfully.

16. danmed

danmed MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Windows 7 Ultimate activated using Daz Loader 1.7
    In place upgrade from bootable DVD but from within Windows.
    Used $14.99 key straight off, no problems except it wiped my statically assigned IP from my network card (but left the DNS entries).. after that it activated fine.
    Everything except security essentials worked... Games run just as well as the did before.

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    It appears that if you boot to the DVD or USB and an OS exists on the drive you can format, install, activate. If you happen to be upgrading to a bare drive it appears you have to install a qualifying OS or use the reg trick.

18. Glottis-

Glottis- MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2009
    what is this reg trick you speak of? i read on the forum a bunch of different ones, just want to know which one you mean exactly? thanks.

19. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009