PotPlayer vs vlc, mpc-hc, splash, kmplayer, smplayer, mpc-be, mvp & mvp-easy

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Deleted member 1139657, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks a lot! Great article! Switching to PotPlayer!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
  4. xCyBx

xCyBx MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Using PotPlayer for 7 years ago, But this first time i see this comparison.

5. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Using k-lite with mpc
    I don't get crazy and try find best software
    It's does the job for my 1080p movies

6. Once you try 4K HDR with high bitrate.....1080p will look like VHS !

7. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    How much it cost in mb .. :D
    My 4 tb SSD will be full
    after download just a few movies

8. All Crap & Crap Always remain Crap :roll1:

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    With a 2016 potato intel onboard gpu and 1366x768 tn laptop screen,
    OP just discovered hot water fake HDR in PotPlayer, which is as s**tty as it can be, blowing true colors, contrast, details up.
    Turn that s**t off from the toolbar "HDR" button and stop appreciating fake demo mode meant to attract sucking peacocks in an over-lit store - that's not how real life looks.
    The display was meant to be calibrated and the one setting the colors or HDR mode, not a software player!

Filtering? how can you even talk about that when the 4K - even 8K FFS gets crammed down into 1366x768?! Downscaled into oblivion.
    Of course there will be differences between scaling algorithms, some might be sharper than others, most players provide a choice.
    PotPlayer might look better on your s**tty system, it's probably picking Nearest Neighborhood scaler which should appear nicer and also faster at such horrible display vs video difference.
    MPC-HC defaults to Bilinear, you could have tried changing it manually as it does not have an Auto mode. Everybody knows to switch it to a fast shader-based Bicubic, or get MadVR for the more advanced ones. But you don't want to test MadVR because your potato simply can't handle it, so instead you run your mouth.

Plus, at native resolution the scaler does not even matter much. Wanna watch HD, Full-HD, 4K, 8K? Then your display should at the very least match that, it's not rocket science.
    I bet OP wastes incredible amounts of bandwidth and wears down drives downloading 4K versions of movies from torrents, instead of the more suitable for potatoes 720p..

10. Awesome reply | Great

11. Lucky You !
    I started using PotPlayer after i tested all the wanna be players.
    But hey never is too late to learn something new.

A lot in TB.... But the quality is worth it, of course on/for 4K HDR TV !
    Say bye bye to 1080p !

Mirror image ?!:D

Please stop rendering SDR content, be useful do some test with your pc, burn some wattage for us show us what you did find !

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    What can I say, OP reached for the stars

1. Proper HDR is hardware 12bit. Cheap HDR (with some color banding) is hardware 10 bit. Some gpu drivers supports it in 8bit too via even more dithering and it is meh.
    Doing it in software is double meh. Watching it on TN panel that can't even show 255 shades is triple meh.

2. MPC-BE out-of-the-box is looking great because it uses an evolved version of the MPC Video Decoder with fixes for the HDR issue.
    It's still fake, emulated, but much closer than the overblown preset in PotPlayer that you yourself realized and had to tame it down.
    So the "copy-paste" how you call it, it is not just a "skin", but a fork that went it's own path when MPC-HC maintainers were obtuse about needed changes. Turns out they were right to fork out.

3. MPC-HC out-of-the-box does not have HDR fixes - it's kept at float by a single dev, so understandable. But it does recommend using madVR for HDR.
    And with madVR installed and selected, it looks great, without any manual adjustments. It can be made to look perfect with manual adjustments.
    While by default it looks the worst, your precious PotPlayer also looks the worst, but in the other direction. Pot calling kettle black, I guess.

4. PotPlayer always had an abundance of settings. But was never praised for speed or quality because it did not offer either out of the box.
    While I did use it a few times years ago, after being caught "phoning" home and showing ads even outside that little box, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole now.

I talked about scaling and how resolution matters in the first post, won't repeat it.
    But it's funny how the "copy-paste" MPC-BE scaling options, later "appeared" verbatim in PotPlayer.
    In any case, when you're using a potato, you are obligated to use advanced settings that pretty much any player invites you to use them.
    It's quite a different thing to downscale vs. upscale, and most players are optimized and configured to upscale (but would prefer to do neither, i.e. the bison using it to have a suitable display).

Forgot to touch on the power usage.. WTF do you expect from a intel onboard 2015?
    1st gen H265 meh support, fixed decoder stuck in time with all the bugs.