Power problems after flashing NW9440 modded BIOS (whitelist removed)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by HP-NW9440, Dec 2, 2010.

1. HP-NW9440

HP-NW9440 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2010
    #1 HP-NW9440, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    I flashed my BIOS with the HP Compaq nw9440 Mobile Workstation (version F.1D 11-jul-2008) (whitelist removed) so I could use another pci-e WiFi card in my laptop.

The computer came with an Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG card and I wanted to install an upgraded card, the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN because it allows for better throughput (54G versus 108G).

After installing the card, the computer booted fine and I had no trouble installing the drivers. I used the card for a couple days enjoying the faster speeds with no issues.

I put the computer into standby (sleep) mode the first night and it woke up fine the next day. Then, the next night because I was running a disk clean program that was going to take a couple of hours to complete, I sat my power options to 1.) Turn off monitor after 10 minutes. 2.) Turn off hard drive after 2 hours. 3.) Go into standby mode after 3 hours. I then closed the computer monitor lid and went to bed.

This morning, the computer would not wake up. I lifted the lid and pressed the power button... nothing. The power and charging lights were on, but it wouldn't start up. I then held the power button for 10 seconds so it would shut off and restart... nothing. No boot and no lights whatsoever.

I disconnected the AC adapter and tried to start it from the battery... nothing. I tried removing the battery and starting the computer on AC only... nothing.

Because the only thing I had changed in the past few days has been the BIOS and new WiFi card, I removed the card and the computer booted right up as normal. I have found that I can start the computer with the RAM/WiFi access cover removed, go into standby mode once Windows starts, insert the WiFi card and replace cover (inserting the card immediately brings the computer out of standby), then restart Windows. Upon restarting, the computer again recognizes the WIFI card and it works.

However, if I completely shut down the computer, it will not boot as described above... no lights, no fan, hard drive, nothing. I have to remove the WiFi card and go through the process I just described to get it going again.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do (short of putting my old, slow WiFi card back in) to remedy this issue?

What is the conflict, I wonder? Why will the computer "restart" and boot fine, but will not boot after a complete shutdown?

I have the most current driver I can find for the Intel 4965AGN (Aug 2010) and I have unchecked the option under the card's properties, "Power Management" tab to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Although, I don't know that this would have anything to do with the not booting issue I have experienced... thought I'd try it. It didn't help.

System info:

Intel Core 2 (not Duo) @ 2.16Ghz
    2GB PC2-5300 @ 667MHz RAM
    Windows XP Pro SP3

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    have you try to reset to default in bios setup.

3. HP-NW9440

HP-NW9440 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2010
    Reset what to "default?"

4. HP-NW9440

HP-NW9440 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2010
    Hello? Anyone? Bueller?

This problem didn't suddenly just fix itself.

What is the point of flashing a de-whitelisted BIOS if the new hardware causes a conflict such that your computer won't even start with the peripheral installed?

Help?!

5. andy_s

andy_s MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2010
    I had a similar problem on a HP laptop some time ago (can't recall model No. but it Wouldn't wake up etc.). I eventually resolved it by removing battery and A.C lead and held down the power button for 30 seconds... apparently some data setting on board could have been corrupted and this flushed it.

Worth a go.

6. HP-NW9440

HP-NW9440 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2010
    F10- Reset to factory defaults did SOMETHING...

Now the computer will shut down and restart, but when the computer is turned off, two power lights stay on when the A/C is connected AND when the A/C is disconnected but the battery is inserted. The only way I can get the power lights to turn off is to remove the battery.

Any ideas why the WiFi card would now be preventing these lights from turning off and eating my battery? Click on pic to see lights.

Oh, btw, the power button for 30 seconds trick didn't do anything for me.

comp lights.JPG

7. abdybooth

abdybooth MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2010
    I had exactly the same problem on my HP nw9440 with an Intel WiMAX / WiFi Link 5350 card (i.e. 802.11n ).

To fix the problem, I had to cover 8 consecutive pins on the wireless card mini PCI-e slot (pins 37 thru 51) with electrical / insulating tape.

For a photo of the tape covering the 8 pins see: h**p://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6813/nw9440.jpg

Also see: h**p://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_PCI_Express

The solution works perfectly using the latest official Intel driver on Windows 7 x64 / 64-bit, it should also work under XP, Vista, etc.

The fix should also work on the HP nx9420 (and possibly other HP laptops!).

***** USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK *****

Regards,
    Andy

8. HP-NW9440

HP-NW9440 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2010
    Thanks Andy, that worked proper. :worthy:

I wonder if it is one specific pin that needs to be covered or severed? How did you end up determining the solution?

9. perdrix

perdrix MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Help, I too have this identical problem with an Intel 5100 card. I can't find the picture referenced on imageshack as it has been removed. I'd also like to understand why this works?

10. perdrix

perdrix MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Failing the sticky tape fix which rather bothers me, is there a two antenna wireless N card that *will* work in the NW9440 with the "whitelist remoed" bios????

Thanks
    Dave

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    AR5B91 and family of AR5B9x should work. i think its wireless N Draft not full N

12. kill14me

kill14me MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2011
    Bringing this up from the dead, I know. But wanted to add that the tape fix worked for me. I added a newer HP WLAN Card (Intel 4965AGN rebadged) to my nx9420 which worked perfectly except for the same issues the OP mentioned. Brought new batteries and everything. I was thinking it was a Windows 7 64-bit issue since I just upgraded.

The BIOS mod just removes the whitelist and allows you to use the card. Compatibility between products however is another matter.