Powerline performance with interference

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Stannieman, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #1 Stannieman, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    At home we have no UTP in the walls, and our modem lives in the basement where the coax comes in. At the time we switched to this provider they temporarily provided powerline/homeplug, so we took that because wireless was just starting to get common (or not even that) and the wifi signal would be very bad to none if it needed to go from basement to livingroom. For a now obvious reason they stopped giving powerline shortly after that.

At that time we got adapters with a max throughput of 14Mbps under ideal circumstances. Now our subscription gives us max 30 down. When connecting my lappy directly to the modem, speedtest got to 29.94Mbps, which is pretty nice considering that the modem's max throughput is 30.

Of course the powerline adapters are a bottleneck now, but it's even worse. Actually the max I ever got out of them was 5Mbps from speedtest. Since a couple of years now one of them is a 54Mbps (or what is 85?) one cause 1 broke down, but that didn't change anything. Downloadspeed today (from basement to livingroom) is 3.5Mbps.
    The fact that I never ever got over 4Mbps lets me think that there is some interference in our house. Our house is 20 years old and the power infrastructure may be called "decent" when compared to older houses, but it was never made with data transport in mind. When connecting the adapters right next to each other and copy a large file between 2 pcs, windows gives me 1.2MBps max, but I think that is then 9.6? It's pretty good for an old 14Mbps adapter, but still not wow.

So now the question.
    I want to replace the adapters with 200MBps ones. I don't give much about filesharing within the network, but would like to get at least the 30Mbps the ISP gives us. So will the 200MBps be more robust cause technology is better today, or will it get even worse cause it's faster and maybe more vulnerable to interference?

And no, I'm 19 so if I ask my parents to break open the wall and put some CAT6 in there, you know what the answer is going to be...

EDIT: Corrected some bit/byte errors, my bad...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #3 Stannieman, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Your choice, certainly, should definitely improve your current scenario. As to the article, even though outdated. I think the main take away is that with the 14MBps and newer it showed no signal degradation due to older wiring.. I think though if there was a questionable ground in the electrical circuit that would definitely increase the possibility of outside interference, I would think..With the house being 20 years old I can't imagine that it would be the problem at all..So interference not likely, more likely is the hardware is outdated..

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    The big performance hit is when there are breakers between them, I think the coil in there ruins the party. But I'll by the new ones, it's never lost even if it doesn't solve it.

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #7 Stannieman, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    (OP)
  7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    That's it, number 5 is the bending metal I'm speaking of, number 7 is the coil (apparently solenoid is a better word).

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #11 Stannieman, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    (OP)