PowerShell vs CMD - what's the real difference?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Dec 31, 2018.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I just downloaded the latest PowerShell 6.2.0 Preview 3 and its just like CMD, so what is the real difference and what the advantage of it? I assume the one I downloaded is newer than the one in Windows 10 1607.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    Powershell is just CMD Plus.

4. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    #4 vuze4u, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Some cmd functions got removed and only works with PS. When i compiled 1607 LTSB with NTLite i checked remove PS thinking cmd is still viable, months later "aw crap" was my respond to that mistake.

Edit: I remember bit was also for security reasons. I don't remember exactly but was something about PS scripts is easier to exploit and execute than cmd bat. Not that i have solid information but i think PS security should be more steady these days.

5. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Powershell is much more powerful than cmd. Learn how to use it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Unless you're someone like me who already knows CMD and powershell offers nothing that I need. If I had a career in programming, sure powershell would be good to know. But why write a script in powershell if you can do the same with CMD and it'll run faster? So it really needs to be decided on a case by case basis. Not only is powershell much more powerful, it's much more slower.

7. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Definitely, but I just can't seem to motivate on that. Good old cmd has been around since the mountains, hard to give up what you're used to.

8. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Powershell lets you use wild cards easily in some instances such as this
    Code:
    powershell -command "get-childitem -path C:\windows\winsxs -include *defender* -recurse | remove-item -recurse -force -confirm:$false"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    There are far too may differences to post here, but in short the major difference is PowerShell is built on .NET and thus can take any Windows task and add automation and logic to it. This is eons beyond what cmd (command-line) can do.

PowerShell offers complete automation, data manipulation, full administrative control of Exchange, Active Directory, Citrix, etc. locally and across networks, code-wrapping, namespace and kernal access and control, etc.

PowerShell is heavily driven on internal error handling which can negligibly affect processing speed. Moreover, each time PowerShell is loaded, it automatically loads all cmdlets and modules into the active session.

The list goes on.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    And a liability full of vulnerabilities that gives leverage to bad actors aka malware :tooth:

11. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    :tooth:

12. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    According to the most recent white-papers on malware attacks, over 60% occurred by running the PowerShell script/commands from cmd, not from a PowerShell shell.

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    The difference is like Wordpad & Word.

14. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    anyone who does not know the difference does not even have to know it :p

15. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I personally like and use tccle from JPSoft. I have been using their command shell since the days of 4dos. My day job is supporting technical applications under unix, but I am doing more support these days of Windows applications, so I have been learning Powershell. It is indeed a very powerful tool, and in some ways a more useful scripting language under Windows than even Perl. I attempted to switch over and use powershell instead of tccle, but I ran into too many road blocks.

YMMV

16. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Malware will always have a way to run, majority being batch files, vbs files and javascript.

17. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I agree!!! TCC/LE is absolutely amazing, it deserves a lot more attention, I always thought Microsoft should have hired Rex Conn years and years and years ago!!
    Nice to see another TCC/LE fan here...