[PowerShell] Sophia Script for Windows 10 & Windows 11 | 5.17.8 | 6.5.8 | x64 2023

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by farag, May 8, 2020.

1. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Start a string with "#" or comment out the whole section with <# #>. Or just delete section.

2. Arkonite

Arkonite MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2018
    Does this support win 10 education which is like enterprise?

3. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    I think so. It's just another supported edition. Read FAQ before running the script!

4. jinbill

jinbill MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2018
    #44 jinbill, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Hi I'm going through each script function and I have some doubts, if a kind person can explain many thanks in advance!!:

Change %TEMP% environment variable path to the %SystemDrive%\Temp ---> what's the improvement if executed?
    Spooler restart -----> why is it needed?
    Group svchost.exe processes -----> what's the improvement if executed?
    Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon ------> why? what's the improvement?
    Remove Windows capabilities ----------> like what?
    Use latest installed .NET runtime for all apps -------------> any chance an old app might not run well or at all with the latest .NET runtime?

I also suggest to include the removal of the lock screen (the useless one with the time and background image you just have to click to make the real desktop login screen appear techrepublic. com/article/how-to-disable-the-windows-10-lock-screen/) and restore the old and great photo viewer tenforums. com/tutorials/14312-restore-windows-photo-viewer-windows-10-a.html

5. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    @jinbill, hello.

Actually the the main improvement will be that all temp files and folders (from all accounts) are in the same folder and it's easy to operate with them. It's not necessary feature for all users if they share their PCs with someone else. So it's up to ypu use it or not.

To delete user temp folder it's needed to delete some files generated by spooler service. So before deleting them the spooler service has to be restarted.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94628-change-split-threshold-svchost-exe-windows-10-a.html

Yeah. It's for domain-joined PCs. Should notice in the next release. So what is it for? If pc is booting too fast (with SSD installed for example) sometimes GPO does not have time to load and for example mount mapped drives. This feature makes OS waiting for the network to for example mount you mapped drives.

???

No. If app requires for example .NET 2.0 it won't run on Win 10 if it hasn't been installed. So this feature makes apps run for example the latest NET runtime if they required .NET 4.5 instead of 4.8. And so on. It doesn't help running very old apps. :)

Forgot already why I had removed this feature. May it broke something. Anyway you can add it to your fork if you want :)

Even me switched to the new Photo app. But anyway here's the script to use Windows 7 like Photo Viewer: https://github.com/farag2/Utilities/blob/master/Restore Windows Photo Viewer.ps1

6. jinbill

jinbill MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2018
    # Remove Windows capabilities
    # Удалить дополнительные компоненты Windows
    Add-Type -AssemblyName PresentationCore, PresentationFramework

is it connected to some other function or else what does it do?

ANSWERED: yes connected to the functions below it

7. jinbill

jinbill MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2018
    # Run Microsoft Defender within a sandbox
    # Запускать Microsoft Defender в песочнице
    setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBOX 1

i searched a little but it's still not clear this function, what are the improvements? is it better on or off?

8. jinbill

jinbill MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2018
    sorry OT but why can't I post any new thread on the forums? :(

9. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
  10. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
  11. Zoiderof

Zoiderof MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2018
    #51 Zoiderof, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    I guess another tweaking community elsewhere also doesn't like Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019(1809) ... because it apparently works differently from Win 10 Pro 1809 and they didn't figure out why.
    A person familiar with the matter kept reiterating to me they extensively tested LTSC 2019 with cleanups and tweaks to make it as good as it can be, but it wouldn't work as good as the equivalent Pro/Home editions.

Independently, I guess I spoke too soon as well, because now I found out that Visual Studio 2019 does not support LTSC 2019. And probably other things I would suspect, if that's the new MS LTSC policy going forward.

From the information I've gathered, I'm suspecting that MS must be purposelly hampering LTSC editions in order to not work on really anything else but "special devices" because they want to force as many people to partake in their telemetry and snooping, Visual Studio is heavily built around telemetry and cloud services. (most of which I've figured out to disable, perhaps there could be a script for getting rid of VS cloud and telemetry bloat, i've got it all documented for VS2017 and i already replicated it with some modifications in VS2019 back in November 2019 ... newer version now may need updating the mod)

Well if it's not too much to keep it, it's still usable for some system admin that may want to get rid of extra stuff if LTSC is running on some critical system, don't want some popup to mess up some medical device, they won't notice a difference between LTSC and non-LTSC because those devices don't do dev or gaming stuff obviously.

However, we can make a use out it, if LTSC 2019 is very similar to 1809 then it shouldn't be hard to make a base 1809 script that would work on Home/Pro as a bonus. I'll let my donation go for that for example, ofcourse not binding or anything. BTW I still didn't find any direct Paypal links, Kofi still requires registration?

That tweaking community also thinks 1709 is still the best one for gaming stability and performance, but I'm not asking you to go support that far back, that's your decision.

12. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    #52 farag, Aug 17, 2020
    (OP)
    @Zoiderof, no KoFi doesn't require registration as well as payment via PayPal. :)

13. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Also GUI-dev tree was removed due to it doesn't reflect real progress of SophiApp (moved to the private repository).

14. Zoiderof

Zoiderof MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2018
    #54 Zoiderof, Aug 17, 2020
    Oh, it's a bit unusual, it requires login for "extra features", but just clicking "Support [user]" then redirects to Paypal ... Allright.

I've also updated my previous post for some extra clarifications. Namely, it's not like I demand this or that for donation, it's just ideas and wishes, for everyone else too not just me.

15. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    #55 farag, Aug 17, 2020
    (OP)
    LTSC 2019 = 1809. It shares similar build.
    I do not like to support outdated Win 10 versions. I'm using 2004 and have to test scripts of older versions on VMs. I "support" LTSC only due to I was asked about it. But origin 1809 is outtaded and I won't release any tweaks for it. Say nothing of 1709. And it is not the most stabel version for gaming. LOL :)

That's normal. If I open a Private window with https://ko-fi.com/farag URL it's able to fill in card details without having PayPal account.

Also read nice artical (within Google Translate) about myths about LTSC edition: http://www.outsidethebox.ms/19882/

16. Zoiderof

Zoiderof MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2018
    #56 Zoiderof, Aug 17, 2020
    Yeah, I'm not new to tweaking in general, started on XP, did a ton on Win7, but only did something small for Win10 LTSB and I've not touched anything Windows related since being busy with other stuff, I haven't followed any updates (updates disabled) so I have no familiarity with the details of anything past LTSB. It depends yes, I didn't believe the person on just their word, I kept asking what exactly they did and how did they conclude that LSTC 2019 is "unstable and crashes and drivers don't work and OC is bad and requires more voltage and FPS is bad" ... I was about to test LTSC in VM as well in a few days over here to see if those things are valid for my PC configuration as well.

While I'm gearing up for a new computer, I do not want to randomy buy some hardware too quickly. I do want to familiarized myself with the current Win10 situation and to understand all of the tweaking tricks before I proceed with building HW, it's just better than having a pile of new HW sitting around for months while fiddling with ISOs, plus I have to wait for the new HW to come out anyway.
    So I will have to be on an older PC for some time, but I do want to move to some newer software, in the meantime, I need a higher version, but not too high because It may not even work right, most of the official drivers for my PC only support 2015 level Windows 10, it's bare minimum.
    That said, I may be able during my research and learning, perhaps provide some testing and support so that an older version like 1809 could work, not saying it's really needed, it's just an idea.

EDIT: Yeah there's also a non-LTSC Enterprise edition, ofcourse ...

Well I've been on Win 10 Enterprise LTSB (LTSC 2016) for 4 years and I haven't had any crashes, BSODs or any weird errors, slowdowns, FPS drops, deleted files, absolutely nothing what is happening out there in the public. :)

Because I simply realized from the Win7 days that in-place-updating sucks and is completely and totally unstable and unreliable, that's why I never use updating, either use WSUS-Offline or manually add a KB in DISM only in some critical required case, otherwise I just do clean reinstals for "updating", and this has served me well to be completely isolated from all the drama and mess, I had no reason to even follow any news about it all these years :D

17. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
  18. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Running 2004 on a 2012 year PC. No issues since 2015 )

19. Zoiderof

Zoiderof MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2018
    #59 Zoiderof, Aug 17, 2020
    Interesting, right, I'm just getting back into this, I hope you don't see me as a "LTSC adherent" hehe, it was just my first pick to go from LTSB to LTSC naturally before I did more research into it, but I knew it's not an easy thing, I just I had to start somewhere to get me going, it's impossible to research all the 4 years of Windows update and tweak history at once.

That article was good indeed, well detailed, except the translation flips the polarity a bit sometimes, taking a bit more effort to figure out whether the author is agreeing or disagreeing with a statement, but I independently know that yes LTSCs aren't that special indeed, however they don't seem to be that good as they are hyped up.

20. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Downloading recently crossed the 30k downloads mark since the end of may. And the project was moved to GitHub in autumn 2017 from my PC. :D Happy 30k day!