Pre-modded bios causing battery issues (Lenovo laptop)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by xNotta, Dec 1, 2022.

1. xNotta

xNotta MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    I installed a pre-modded bios that whitelists hardware so I could install a 5ghz wifi card. After flashing their bios, my battery will only charge to 60% and will die within minutes after being unplugged. This happens when it's powered on and off and even if I remove the hard drive, wifi card, and ram.

The website (recommended on the Lenovo forum) I got the bios from is not friendly and issues DMCA claims if their bios file shows up anywhere. They also require payment to download more than a couple downloads per month. You can't download all files without paying or waiting 2 months.

I did all the bios resets and cleared everything (using the keyboard without a display and force flashing from a USB drive) before loading the stock firmware again.

I still can't get my battery to work right. I have 5 new batteries. They were all charged to 100% before being sent to me. They are known good but still suffer from the 60% and quick discharge thing.

On an unrelated note, the bios also killed my hard drive by overheating the laptop and did something to pop and kill the power adapter. The modder seems to have bad intensions and now I can't get things to run correctly without using their bios.

Does anyone have any idea on what I can do to unbreak what the pre-modded bios did?

(I can upload the stock and modded bios if there is somewhere they aren't able to be found publicly to prevent being hit with another cease and desist letter and a DMCA claim)

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @xNotta
    Your opinion may be true, but have you calibrated the battery after updated the BIOS?
    If not, do it, and if after that everything continues as before ie like is now, the BIOS has not been changed correctly.
    That it somehow affected your power supply or charger is very unlikely. There is all probably fine.
    Of course, you have to take into account that some Lenovo's have a so-called white list of usable batteries, and if you use a non-chipped battery, just such problems appear. Of course, if this so-called white list in the BIOS has not been updated or changed or at all removed.
    If the whitelist is unchanged, you can only use the so-called original battery and charger wich have a Lenovo chip.
    But this telegram page is of more than dubious, I looked into it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...