Preinstalled windows license

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lolpan, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolpan

lolpan MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2013
    #1 lolpan, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    Hello

I have a lenovo laptop with a legitimate preinstalled windows 8 license.

However I would like to run windows 7 (legitimate) on the lenovo and install windows 8 on another laptop (hp). As the lenovo does not have a touch screen and the hp does. (I am not eligible for any upgrade pricing/discounts)

I can extract the windows 8 key from the lenovo with a program (belarc for example), but I am lead to believe I will not be able to activate that key on the hp laptop.

Is there any way around this problem? Away for force the activation of a legitimate key from a preinstalled windows license? It is a legitimate key, but as far as I understand the manufacturer usually blocks it from being activated, encouraging you to use the restore partition or paying for a new key if things fail.

Thanks for any help

Also I read this sticky, but am not sure what it means or if it applies:
    Windows 8 preinstalled licenses, AKA OA2.2 and OA3.0
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/34580-Windows-8-preinstalled-licenses-AKA-OA2-2-and-OA3-0

2. lolpan

lolpan MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2013
    I forgot to mention that I had searched to forums, but was unable to find a similar problem. Most people seemed concerned with installing another version of windows on to a computer that came with a preinstalled license or how to transfer upgrade/oem product keys.

I am sorry if this issue has been discussed before, but if it has, I would be greatful if you directed me to any relevant threads.

Thanks again

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    different pc = different hardware = different license

so, no you can not

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    There's no way you can move Windows 8 OEM:DM keys to other systems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. lolpan

lolpan MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2013
    Thank you both for your quick responses.

Have a good weekend

6. patrixon78

patrixon78 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    actually

If you living inside EU you can buy the licence from the person who is eligible for discount. In EU law you can resell any software licence because on the EU territory company who selling the software in the first place loosing their rights to mentioned software just after transaction so you become the owner of the software you purchased and you can resell it even if it's against company's terms & regulations. For example any Microsoft Licence and any Adobe licence including Teacher & Student editions. But first and for most you need to find the person willing to sell the licence to you. As the matter of fact I have one discounted licence for Win 8 Pro for sale. I just hate this OS and want to get rid of it.

7. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    And how is this related to the OP's question about a OEM key :dunno:

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #9 Daz, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    @ Please-8
    But it can get your key blocked because the key is designed for that hardware only, so don't expect it to always remain working as Windows 8 performs genuine checks on a daily basis.

Basically if the system see's it's got an OEM:DM key installed and then it checks to see if your ACPI tables contains an MSDM table and it's not there then MS can consider that an illegally activated system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    As mentioned by "patrixon78":
    In EU it's not allowed to bundle standard software with hardware (except: specialize software that can only run with special hardware).
    Even if it's written in EULA.

So we are in luck in EU.

So we need to discuss how Microsoft identifies EU citizens whilst phone activation.
    By language ? By used phone No. ?
    • What happens when a EU citizens activates his Windows 8 on holiday in US ? Uses English language and US phone No. ?
    • What happens when a US citizens activates his Windows 8 on holiday in France ? Uses French language and French phone No. ?

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #11 Daz, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  11. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    As I said before:
    So in EU it does not exist "tied to hardware".

I you unpack a new PC with preinstalled Windows 8 it's not activated.
    You can activate via internet or phone.

That's also written in EULA:

12. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Are you really going to sit here and go back and forth wit Daz? He is the master when it comes down to this stuff.

He has done all of his homework and knows what he is talking about. EU laws may not apply when it comes to a licence being tied into hardware.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not completely true! There two main different OEM Licenses for Windows 8:
    • Factory Pre-Installed Windows 8 OEM
    • Windows 8 OEM Packages sold in Computer Shop!
    Later normally should be sold with Special Hardware together but sold as it is as well! Tha packages itself differs from the MS Pacjkages, it's just an white Paper Envelope with some Sticker Lables and contains 1 DVD with either 32bit or 64bit Version of Windows 8. Those are available as Core and Pro as well.

14. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #16 Shenj, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ pisthai
    I would be talking about the first. Factory pre-installed OEM:DM which is a little different to the other license as it's installed on the hardware.

@ Please-8
    That's actually not 100% true. Microsoft only have to do that with Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. If they weren't allowed to give you "standard software" then you wouldn't get MS paint, Wordpad, Windows Media Center etc. Secondly the license key is installed to the hardware within your BIOS so to sell your license should require you to sell your hardware, since the key will always remain in your BIOS so you're not handing over 100% of the license to that person.

Yes, for that specific system. Like I previously said, your key risks becoming blocked or the system deactivated because it's not running on the hardware the OEM paid for it to be installed to.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  17. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    #20 BTOR, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    I think you have problem with reading/understanding.you are clearly quoting my post on windows 8 and saying it is not so.i am convinced that you could make even me believe i spoke on windows 7 , what do you want me to do? a Photoshop on ms resource/documents ? this is how they have published their site,i just put a SS of that PAGE here.

Now if we take in to account what i posted, it is from the MS, so are you saying the license agreement they laid is wrong in full and your understanding is true to the best of the worlds knowledge.

Now if we consider what i quoted,then the only thing i quoted was your post.You are correct in this regard.It is hard for me to believe you are agreeing this "the information you quoted were wrong in full". So i think there is nothing more to discuss.