Preparing Windows 8.1 for the possible disaster

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jcarerra, Jul 4, 2014.

1. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    I have been reading the excellent discussion in the thread
    DISCUSSION - Best method (and program) to backup (image) GPT/UEFI disk

and will eventually make the decision for which image backup program to get for new Windows 8.1 laptop.

In the meantime, I have made the recovery USB stick that Windows 8.1 allows you to make--that stores the recovery partition data (I think--it wouldn't boot from it).

PAUSE...
    during that process, screen says 8GB flash drive required. Yea, I have one. Would not work--no way, no how. Multiple tries. Eventually I decide it is because the formatted size on the stick is 7.45GB. So, go buy a 16GB stick because the machine says I need 8GB but won't use an 8GB rated stick. Very annoyed...need $10 device instead of a 25c DVD.
    END PAUSE

I also made recovery DVDs by accidentally discovering a Toshiba utility on the machine that did that.

Now, to the point of this post. As best I understand it, these things are useless unless I have a system repair disk to boot the machine in order to use these recovery items. Windows 8.1 does not allow you to make a system repair disk. So, what now bro? How do I make a Windows 8.1 system repair disk? <<That is my question.

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Use the windows install dvd or usb flashdrive to load the recovery ambient, and use and external disk to store the image.

3. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    I do not have an install DVD as that would obviate any need to have the recovery disks--the install DVD would be the recovery. I am willing to bet that 90% of people who bought computers in the last 5 years do not have OS disks with them--especially laptops.

As for the flash drive, as I said, it does not boot. And all of that leads to my question of How do I make a Windows 8.1 system repair disk? I suppose it should be expanded to any disk that will boot and install the recovery images that are on the flash drive I made or the DVDs that the Toshiba utility made.

4. mimart7

mimart7 MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I backup my OS drive with Macrium Reflect Free and, to recover, I created a Macrium Reflect Windows PE recovery ISO and run it from an Easy2Boot flash drive.

I have backup images of both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I can swap operating systems back and forth on my SSD in about twenty minutes. I prefer swapping OS's to dual booting.

6. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    #6 jcarerra, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    (OP)
    I am not asking about an imaging program--that is a different approach altogether. I an talking about a boot disk that will enable me to do a recovery using the flash drive Windows 8.1 allowed me to make, or the using the DVDs the Toshiba utility allowed me to make.

7. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    The flash drive you originally bought is big enough. Do you know how to set the boot order in your BIOS?

8. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    ^^ Why do you say that? When I tried to use it (the 8GB one that is 7.45GB formatted), the dialog would not light up the "Next" button to proceed. How can you say it was big enough? When I used a 16GB flash drive, the Next button was lighted and it did proceed.

AS for boot order, I have yet to find the key that will open the "BIOS" editing screen. It does NOT show during the boot process. F2 does not do it. Del does not do it. Esc does not do it.

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #9 PaulDesmond, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    if your 8gig stick does not perform an installation for either windows currently available (size ~4gig/x64). the install medium is defective or some mistakes have occurred.
    Have a close look into your owner's manual of your machine in order to find the proper key getting into bios

10. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    #10 jcarerra, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    (OP)
    Well, the 8GB stick issue is kind of moot at this poinr, as I bought a 16GB one that did work. Any defect was invisible as the file system was visible when it was mounted (inserted) into a port. I also did a quick format of it that did not fail--so if there was a defect, it was really buried. Also, the system did not even TRY to write to the stick as I never got the Next button to get to a future step that would have written to it. That is why i concluded that it was the size issue, along with the Office Depot tech saying 16 was needed (for whatever little that is worth) when I went to the store to get it.

And I just tested--I can write files to it.

No owner's manual--not even on the machine that I can find. Toshiba S55-A5176. I will have to look at the Toshiba site.
    LATER: Found the manual at Toshiba site--it is F12 held down while power-on.

11. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  12. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    #12 jcarerra, Jul 5, 2014
    (OP)
    ^^ Did not know that. So, don't lose your recovery flash drive, eh?

So, at this point, am I to conclude..

--you cannot make a repair boot disk within Windows 8.1? (Thanks Bill)

--One must "find one" out in the internet space, or make one using Rufus?

Wow, this is a good system Microsoft has set up.

13. Gcentrex

Gcentrex MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2014
    #13 Gcentrex, Jul 5, 2014

You can make a recovery drive in Windows 8 and 8.1, just press Windows key + S, then type in "Create a recovery drive"
    This application can make recovery drive (old repair disk removed in win8.x) plus if you tick the box will also copy your systems recovery partition to the flash drive as well (the reason you were told 16GB was big enough)

The manufacturer recovery media creation tools work differently then Microsoft's built in tool.

14. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    I did not see any place that had a tick box referring to a repair disk. It was all about 'recovery.' I KNOW about the recovery making...I have made both the Windows 8.1 one (flash drive only method allowed) using the "inside w8 tool"and DVDs using the Toshiba utility--but so far, those are not bootable. This discussion is about how to make a "system repair (bootable) disk" --not a recovery disk. You say I was offered that chance; I did not see that. And now it is too late since previous says you can do this only once.

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #15 murphy78, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The boot portion of that recovery disk is located on the windows drive you installed to.
    You can access the recovery at any time by running admin prompt commands:
    Code:
    reagentc /boottore
    shutdown /r /t 0
    I think you can also just access the semi-recovery environment using:
    Code:
    shutdown /r /o /t 0
    If you have any sort of problems with disk drivers or malware, you should just use the reagentc version since it uses winpe.

Inside the recovery options you will have your choice to repair with your recovery disk.

16. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    I can handle that, if I write those down and save them somewhere...

But wow....mom and pop user is supposed to know that is how you do a recovery?
    Ohmigosh.
    Windows has gotten so easy.

Oh, what it your computer is not bootable at the point in time you are trying to do the recovery? Houston, we have a problem here.

17. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    #17 jcarerra, Jul 5, 2014
    (OP)
    ^^ Just tried that to set it to boot from DVD. It did not go into "BIOS" settings (what is the name we call this now that there is no BIOS by that name?). It booted normally into Windows.

LATER:
    Found this on forums.toshiba site..

While on the Start screen type “BIOS” or "UEFI".
    Under “Settings” select “Advanced Startup Options”
    Under the “General” menu item, scroll to the bottom.
    Under “Advanced Startup” click “Restart Now” button.
    When the “Choose an Option” screen appears, select “Troubleshoot”.
    In the Troubleshoot menu select “Advanced Options”.
    In the Advanced Options menu select “UEFI Firmware Settings”.
    Click the “Restart” button to boot into the “Setup Utility” (UEFI) screen.

Well now; isn't that easy?
    It also brings to my mind how one enters UEFI settings screen IF YOU CAN'T BOOT TO WINDOWS? (rhetorical)

Also, just discovered that when you command "Shutdown" in a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 system, billy decided that you don't know what you want; he decided that when you say shutdown, you really meant to say 'hibernate,' and that is what the machine does.

^^This is the reason F12 held down did not work; the machine was not shut down--it was in hibernate.

18. Gcentrex

Gcentrex MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2014
    I reread what I wrote and I made a slight mistake, the tick box I am referring to is to copy the recovery partition to the flash drive. System Repair disk is now Recovery drive allows to write the system image back to the pc.

Recovery disk under advanced options provides>
    System Restore
    System Image Recovery
    Startup repair
    Command Promt

Another way to access the other startup options if windows enough to hit the login screen, just hold shift while clicking restart. Also if the system does not load correctly holding shift and F8 allows access to this and the old safemode options

19. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    If you do NOT select that option to copy the recovery partition to the flash, then what IS on the created flash?

20. Gcentrex

Gcentrex MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2014
    WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment)

A very basic set of tools to fix a system, most would use it for the System image recovery (restore from your own backup) Startup repair or Command prompt so you can roll back updates/driver installs