preserve activation?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tulip, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Is there a way to preserve an activation?

I have a PC, an Acer Aspire L3600 which isn't mine, I was going to reinstall Windows but first I decided to update the bios, no problem I thought. Downloaded the bios from Acer's website, read the .pdf and chose the correct options, used the AFUWIN program and it flashed OK, it restarted and never turned on again. Long beep then short beep. Googles "aspire l3600 doesn't turn on after bios flash" and loads of people have the same problem. No DOS program was even included with the bios download, I have Win flashed quite a lot before but know its not very advisable but not really had any trouble before.

So I order a new bios chip and he is going to put the bios on it for me, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the SLIC 2.0 table that was in the old bios? (seems doubtful Acer would include it in a flashable bios??) If when I get the new chip I put the hard drive back etc, would Win Vista still be activated? Is there any way I could do a clean install and have it preserve the previous activation? I'm guessing I could still phone activate with the Vista COA on the bottom of the PC? Do you have to phone activate each time you want to reinstall Windows or do they give you a new key that can be reactivated whenever?

I could put a SLIC table in the bios file but I don't really want to risk flashing again even under DOS, I've not heard of one person who has successfully flashed with this PC! Also I have never done it before so might mess it up trying to inject it.

I tried using the Bios recovery but its not reading from a usb drive or dvd drive, I ordered a floppy drive but am now waiting for it. I'm not very hopeful though.

Anything else I can do?

Thanks

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi

Yeah that seems the best thing to do, thanks for the help. As the PC isn't mine I will stick with what was on there and use the COA it has.