Preventing wireless router from opening my browser

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrAndrewAu, Jan 4, 2016.

1. MrAndrewAu

MrAndrewAu MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
  2. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    The setting should be on you router not Windows unless you installed the CD that came with it, and if that's the case then delete the Linksys software from Windows you don't need it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrAndrewAu

MrAndrewAu MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    #3 MrAndrewAu, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    (OP)
    You are correct, the pop-up is spawned by Linksys, but I have not installed any Linksys software. Indeed it comes from the router, but I've combed through the entire Linksys web administration page (accessed via local network @ http//192.168.0.1 but there is no option to disable it).

I'm looking for some sort of hack, registry modification, or disabling of a Windows Service that would prevent the router from ever gaining access to my internet explorer.

4. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Might help if you include the router model and firmware version if you know it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. michael_mac

michael_mac MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah it is really embarrassing, I know :g:

6. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #6 Mutagen, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    As far as I know, all routers use a browser to manage their settings, I don't think there is anything to be done. (Naturally, I expect 30 seconds after I post this a MDL Expert will have the real solution).

You could skip the the WiFi and use ethernet cable to reduce the chances of connection loss, but I imagine this approach is impractical.

And finally, with all due respect, why are you embarrassed? These things happen. I certainly wouldn't let this prevent me from enjoying a fine meal if I were a customer.

(Of course, one look at my 5'9", 400lb frame and it's obvious nothing keeps me from a fine meal).