[PRIVACY] Connecting through Tor with any client/app.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Yen, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The tor browser bundle comes with an own firefox version and a tool connecting to the tor network.
    Other clients/apps running are connecting directly through the global settings of the OS if not configured otherwise.

How to run a client/app which have got an proxy configuration option to be configured through tor for privacy anyway?

Clients which have got an own option for manual proxy configuration themselves can use the same proxy connections at their settings:

Code:
    SOCKS host: 127.0.0.1 PORT: 9150 SOCKS v5, remote DNS ticked and no proxy for box empty.
    Open tor browser bundle always first to have an open tor connection!!!

How to run a client/app which do NOT have an own option (or one that is buggy) to be configured through tor for privacy anyway?

Example Linux mint cinnamon:
    (Updated 15/03/2019)

Go to the application manager and search for proxychains and install it.

Locate /usr/lib/proxychains3/proxyresolv and change the default DNS server (4.2.2.2.) Probably use one which does not log and one that is reliable like 84.200.69.80 (DNS.watch)

Go to /etc/proxychains.conf and comment all lines there to have the example inactive (add a # so any line has got it in front)

Add:

Code:
    strict_chain
    proxy_dns
    [ProxyList]
    socks5 127.0.0.1 9150
    Save the config (you probably need to do that as system admin in order to write.)
    proxy_dns actually should make using the Tor DNS resolving .onion addresses.

If you want now to run a particular app/client through tor network:

Open tor browser bundle always first to have an open tor connection!!!
    Open terminal and type

Code:
    (sudo) proxychains application/client
    *firefox for instance does not run as sudo. Leave sudo out..

Replace application/client with the particular client name you want to run. Enter your password and the client/app pops up and runs through tor. You can watch the terminal for current connections.

Always close the client first and at last tor to close tor connection at very last step!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    #2 Superfly, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Good post Yen... pity so little interest...between Google and MS telemetry, they are making a killing in ad revenue - without the users permission, I might add.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Maybe there is only little interest, because most people here know better than to use Google or Win10 ?

4. Amateur_Linux User

Amateur_Linux User MDL Junior Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I couldn't understand a thing. I am dumb. :hummer::wallhead:

5. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    no you aint dumb you are an amateur (as your nick says) if it helps at all. spend more time with reading and also it depends on the author.
    reading is like sex, when its good, its really good (aah haan), when it isn't there is nothing better than it.
    a big fat book wont un-dumb you, but a well presented article like this one and many more may help you. the author has to be crisp and to the point and at times illustrative with screenshot if needed. but here since most of us are cut copy paste, this is a decent enough article for starters.
    i am not great which is why i am not humble, so i dont have a humble opinion aka IMHO.
    its just my opinion.

6. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    you forgot about iptables :p and ipset to block all unwanted incoming and outgoing packets and blocking mass net blocks or ip blocks. perhaps you can add a line or two about traffic shaping, it can also help in masquerading and also a few sysctl and agent info and tor over proxy or vpn or ssh tunnel.
    that will one heck of a linux pro article.
    my 0.02 cents (i.e. 0.0002 US$)
    p.s. even after all these you still leak other info like browser and nat and what not and bonus dns leaks. if you have have dns leaks pretty much the entire effort is a big waste of effort. i would suggest you to expand it a bit more, i will try and contribute if there is any need.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    (OP)
  8. qoxyva

qoxyva MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2018
    Your ISP can using DNS hijacking and that can be a problem with Open DNS. Speaking of privacy you can use DNS-over-HTTPS or DNSSEC. Firefox supports DNS-over-HTTPS and Ubuntu has "dnscrypt-proxy" package who can help in that case. Even with Tor this isn't a bad idea. Personally I trust DNS servers like CloudFlare or Cisco much more than an unknown Tor node.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #10 Yen, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    (OP)
  10. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
    #11 shewolf, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That surely works, but Chrome and [PRVACY] don't go together. :)

I wonder if those switches would also make sure the remote DNS is used to prevent DNS leaks....

12. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #13 shewolf, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    --- to prevent DNS leaks with the previous add this switches >

--- IP address is your choice

13. shewolf

Apr 16, 2015
    #14 shewolf, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    ----some useful privacy switches (you can use all at once)

14. PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD MDL Novice

May 6, 2013
    Thanks for the switches, I use them on Chromium.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #16 Yen, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    (OP)
  16. XOXOCristii

XOXOCristii MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2020
    You can also use Anonsurf for Parrot OS, Or Kali Anonsurf [GitHub] for Debian based distro's.

17. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2020
    How does Tor do using a vpn? I normally use regular firefox, and PIA, (in Mint atm). I occasionally run Tor, and it doesn t complain, but I ve always wondered if the vpn effects Tor in some negetive way.

18. pbr333

pbr333 MDL Novice

May 10, 2012
    anticmos, I have similar setup and I hoped this thread would continue. I use PIA to connect to tor on Linux Mint. I also need to learn more so I can
    monitor my privacy/anonymity with all apps.through all conections. I do need more practice with terminal also.

19. TMPink

TMPink MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2021
    I use tails for privacy – however, I would like more privacy for chats and perhaps encrypted email client.

Almost forgot anybody know more about Brave browser? Just a regular user in need for help [:0)]