Pro v. Ultimate Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by leis, Mar 22, 2014.

1. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #1 leis, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Hi,
    A virus that is called my web search or websearch or one of the other similar names, did a number on my computer this past week and I had Ultimate Win 7 installed--but I had no backup or recovery-made discs and no, not the windows 7 ultimate version of OS, either.

So, the computer remained in loop once I tried logging back on, over and over it just wouldn't load windows. o

A friend gave me a legitimate windows 7 Pro version copy w/key code that if I needed it, etc.... And so it installed it's operating pretty well and i still have this idea that Ultimate Win 7 is faster than the Pro version and I'm contemplating going ahead and download and install Ultimate 32 bit and I can always have the Pro version's disc on hand if necessary in the future, but if I do download the Ultimate, I will right away get recovery discs, and I had a problems when I was trying to download windows 7 a few weeks ago from here and there's some brush up I need to first get going with it if I choose the Ultimate install task.

Anyway, if anyone has any comments or knowledge and reasons if or if not to re-install with a new version of Ultimate 32 bit Windows 7 instead of keeping the Pro version. It seems like the Pro version's not as peppy or it could be a little slower in operation as opposed to the Ultimate.
    Thanks,
    :)Any suggestions +/or information is appreciated. Thanks*

leis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #2 Myrrh, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for the helpful answer of using the Anytime Wizard(?) I will have to get more knowledge to that as I'm not sure where to look but probably right here in the forum (Win. 7, of course).

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Control Panel\System and Security\System

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I went for Pro coz I don't need the BitLocker to slow down my s**t

6. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi thanks for the hint.
    Listen, I decided since I can't get my copy of the Pro version genuine because of the key on the disc my friend gave me, and anyway, I would like to go ahead and mabe gget made but anyway, to go ahead with the Ultimate version that's here in the MDL of course. Ok, well I got as far as getting the Hash tool that acrsn suggested when he was helping me on other issues, per his provided info, it would appear that this isn't holding ..he provided link to this nifty hash tool but do you know how it works? I don't even know which numbers of the link to Riverside or the actual name of the place where the that I try to get this part i problems and I have it saved but I really don't understand how to use it to compare it to the SHA number that looks to be at the top of the instructions...

Thanks either way, ok? Keith Leisure

7. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi thanks for the hint.
    Listen, I decided since I can't get my copy of the Pro version genuine because of the key on the disc my friend gave me, and anyway, I would like to go ahead and obtain Ultimate 32 bit for my computer and followed the necessary links that acrsn had provided me he with the Ultimate version that's here in the MDL of course. Ok, well I got as far as getting the Hash tool that acrsn suggested when he was helping me on other issues, but do you know how it works? I don't even know which numbers on the hash tool to compare to the numbers of the win 7 32 bit Ultimate.
    Thanks either way, ok? ​

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #8 s1ave77, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    HINT: If you already have a Win 7 Pro ISO, no need to download Ultimate :cool2:.

Open the ISO with an appropriate Tool, i.e. UltraISO and delete the ei.cfg file in the \sources\ folder inside the ISO, let the Tool rebuild the ISO. Now the Windows Setup will offer all Versions (STARTER(x86 only)/HOMEBASIC/HOMEPREMIUM/PROFESSIONAL/ULTIMATE). All ISOs are the same, only the info in this ei.cfg file differs.

EDIT:

Anywhere here a ei.cfg removal tool is floating around, no clue where i saw it :g:.

OK, urie found it :good3:: eicfg_removal_utility.zip

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #9 urie, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  10. eydee

eydee Guest

Every windows 7 install will be a bit slower right after the initial installation. It will run system maintenance, defrag your drives, compile .NET assemblies etc. Also superfetch needs time to adjust to your computer usage. That's why it feels a bit slower. It is slower. However, if you installed ultimate now, it would also be a bit slower the same way compared to your old system. Give it time, it will finish optimizations in a few days and you'll gain your speed back.

11. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hey Eydee, You are so absolutely right and here I'm acting impatient and thinking that i got ripped off or something when it was out of the kindness of a guy from my job to volunteer the disc anyway during somewhat of crisis that i made a little swift by having no preparation back up. Sorta like not having a spare tire while out mad dogging a truck up some mountain sides...well, that's a bit of a stretch for an example :) but you understand, I'm sure.

Take care*

12. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
  13. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hey can I ask something about the ISO tool for eicfg removal purpose, that if I'm on the right track or of having learned this whole course-like that the purpose of accessing this eicfg tool for removal is so as to create access to the goods or contents that makes up the media or DVD that also acts as a conduit to be copied and burned onto other media in this case, a DVD, and for the grand finale or end results, we'll present a perfectly new copy or just plain Windows 7 Ultimate on a DVD.... And is that pretty much what it is?

--------
    Here's excerpt from the Read Me file of the tool:

When used on an original Windows 7/8 ISO image, this utility will disable the
    ei.cfg file, thus converting a disc image into a "universal" disc image.
    When used on a Windows 7/8 ISO image that has already been patched by this
    utility, this utility will undo the ei.cfg removal and restore the disc image
    to its original state.

Ok, Thanks for your help and patience too and now about that...those hashes and (wow) that's a whole other thing too to get going with...

Later *

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Not completely correct :D.

Win 7: Here it needs to remove the ei.cfg file to enable all version in setup.

Win 8/8.x: Here it needs to add an ei.cfg to enable all version in setup.

15. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for your message and the further info. and let me ask you if in your thread back with the Win 7: and
    the Win 8/8.x:n
    those aren't links (correct) but as exemplars to explain as you said one is to enable and one's to disable or + and- ?

Thanks again!

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Exactly :good3:.

17. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #17 leis, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    (OP)
    Hi again Slave,
    Today i am going to have some time to try this method of the introducing the tool to the Pro disc and if it will work out!

Just as i typed this when i went back to read the copy of the excerpt above about the tool, i realized that must work on the "original" and mine is a copy of my friend's original disc. That may mean the difference of it not working then (right)?

18. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Test if it works, if not use UltraISO (or similiar) and do it manually :g:.

19. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for your help (any and everyone reading) and Slave the bottom line, since I went into the folder of sources to look for the ei.cfg file to be removed and no stoogie and you mentioned it could have already been removed.

So, you know what, I'm not sure what to do next. + have double checked and the ei.cfg file isn't anywhere.

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Next option is actually try a installation and see if it gives you access to all versions on windows.