Probably elementary for you....but not for me

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by quasarpod, Oct 9, 2016.

1. quasarpod

quasarpod MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Hi All,
    I run Win 10 Pro on 3 machines and have several portable spinning drives. Each of these drives has a folder called System Volume Information, I think it's because I take checkpoints before doing anything a bit risky and the PC has placed the checkpoint on the portable drive. I cannot delete these folders, I have formatted, tried to take ownership, run active@killdisk and Disk Wipe. Nothing has worked. Can someone please help with a solution to remove these folders?
    Many thanks.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

when you zero a hdd with killdisk, you write zeros to everything and everything is over written.

im no expert, but what i can make out is system volume information is created by windows on every hard disk. most likely a file table. the only place it dont exist on my system is on a usb key drive.

so active is over writing it, but windows creates it when you format a disk.

4. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Those folders are automatically created. The only way to get rid of that folder is disabling system restore for the concerned partition.

I don't know if this is still valid for Windows 10 though. It probably is...

5. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

even with system restore removed, it still exists.

6. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes, it will be zero bytes, but will be there.

7. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

yep, all mine are zero bytes.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Because Zero (0) writing didn't 'touch' Track 0 (Zero), which LLFMT clears too!

And just to mention: using of LLFMT will give all informations of any problems of the Storage device by sector and cluster.

Anyway is up to the user what he/she will do and for sure, if he/she will take the time and learn about what will be really done. On that website I posted, the user could find all that infos too!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. quasarpod

quasarpod MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Thanks everybody for your excellent advice. It's much appreciated.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What advice bad I would say it is a folder used by the os leave it alone if you did not have show system files and hidden folders enabled you would have even noticed it was there. It is needed and will always rewrite itself.

11. This is actually an issue caused by Microsoft.
    Windows all the time creating these folders/partitions (are also some other, for example for UEFI and win10), no matter if you still using it or you unattached the disks.
    You need to just format the whole disks and then never attach in any way again with windows, - that's the only way to really delete this complete unneeded crap.

Use a linux-live-disk for doing the wipe jobs.
    I recommend a 3-run action, (ones, random, zeros), - for modern disks, secure enough.
    For SSDs you only need 1-run and SATA-secure-erase-command - if supported.

12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    What the heck are you all smoking?!

That is an automatically created system folder. Formatting or low level formatting will not magically get rid of it this is not a stubborn virus for God'said sake! Itso in every Windows installation I've seen

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I already stated bad info yes we cannot all be perfect and do make mistakes and forum is for helping and sharing information.

But sometimes it is better not to post if not sure especially when destroying someones windows system, I'm thinking of other members who may have read the thread and could have low level formatted their drive and without being advised to image or backup their system only to find out it was all for nothing the folders will still be there :eek: