Problem after updating win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rey_z, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rey_z

rey_z MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    hi all,
    i just updated my win 7 with all the available updates and now i cannot use my WLM anymore. it will not respond at all. Another problem is my CPU usage is always 50% even when the CPU use by the applications are zero. really need all the sifus help here.

flickr.com/photos/44525188@N04/4926713975/

Thanks!

2. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Start your computer with your Win7 DVD, and use the option repair computer. Then Win7 fixes all broken, corrupted or missing files. It's my best bet.

3. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Click "Show processes from all users" to see what's chewing CPU time.

I know a weird issue that can frig up WLM is problems with the display pic:

Start > Run > type "regedit" and hit ok.
    In the registry editor, navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings

Under "PerPassportSettings", you may have multiple entries with numbers representing each Live account you've logged in with. In each (or if you only have one), expand the numbered key and look for the string "UTL". delete the value within "UTL".

Start WLM, and change your display pic immediately.

4. rey_z

rey_z MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    ya, thanks everyone for the inputs. figured out that it was the kaspersky taking up all my CPU for unknown reason. i reinstalled the kaspersky and now it's running fine again!!
    thanks again everyone!!

5. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    My previous computer is same as urs. Kaspersky is making my computer too lag. But then I decided to use MSE. It reports more viruses than KIS (KIS rarely pop up when I open infected files that are judged by MSE/AVG).
    anyway, you should upgrade ur machine, i don't believe kaspersky eats up 50% CPU on a powerful computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...