"Problem ejecting USB mass storage Device

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Oct 9, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    "Problem ejecting USB mass storage Device... because some program is still using it."

Task manager shows 43 processes are running, how can I identify the one that is blocking removal of my external SSD?

Or is there another solution...

Thank you...

2. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Windows doesn't use delayed write on external drives. If the drive has an activity light then
    as long as the light isn't flashing simply unplug the drive. Usually it is an antivirus program monitoring
    the drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    By default, the write cache on such volumes is disabled (optimized for fast removal).

If you manually enabled it, beware! Then, you should never remove it with out ejecting first.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you both...
    ..but It is not the light that is the problem, there is actually a pop up that tells me that first sentence I quoted, after I click on the USB icon in the taskbar. This action usually results in a pop up: "You can now safely remove your USB device" and actually on all other storage devices the light does go out.
    And, Carlos, how can I tell if the write cache is enable or not?

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  6. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Right click the drive in Windows explorer > Properties > Hardware tab > Select the drive >
    click properties at bottom > click "Change settings" at bottom > select Policies tab

Should have "Quick removal (default)" checked. If not then check it.
    The "Safely remove hardware icon in the tray is useless. As long as the light on the drive is NOT flashing just unplug it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Quick removal IS CHECKED...

8. Xariwey

Xariwey MDL Junior Member

Mar 26, 2017
    if u cant eject from the icon, just go to my pc and right click on the drive and eject, its just next to the format option.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, but that I know... and it is when the pop appears....

10. pathguy

pathguy MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2017
    Hi there! I've noticed that such issue happens when i have copied something from the external drive to clipboard. In this case i simply copy anything from my hard drive to clipboard again (some small file) and paste it to the desktop, then delete it. After that system lets me to safely remove the external drive. If this does not work, the only way is to turn off my notebook and remove external drive.

11. mrcoin99

mrcoin99 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2014
    Run process explorer as admin.
    Type Ctrl + f
    In search window type usb drive letter, eg E:
    Press search.
    Find the process using E:
    Note the process id
    In main process explorer window right click the process and kill it.
    Then try safely eject usb.

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you both, I have bookmarked this and will try it when it appears next

13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Or you could just run check disk on the drive which will "usually" unmount it .

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    "Check" as in: "Rescan Disk" in Disk Management?

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Ummm you know the thing that you get on the drive properties in my PC that lets you scan for errors?

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have only known that one, when I do not want to see it. Never comes when needed... and as far as I remember only when you plug something in?

17. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It's available for most drives. When it runs it will unlock most things locking the drive. If you still get the unmount error, killing explorer.exe usually does the job but that's extreme.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Right-click drive, Properties, Tools Tab. "Check". Not available for ReFs, I think. :)

19. Xariwey

Xariwey MDL Junior Member

Mar 26, 2017
    right click and eject is the way to go... it will do a stop all querrys on the drive and eject it... pretty much like if u where using comand prompt diskpart to unmout a drive or disk manager to dismount the drive...

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    If you're running Windows 7, any running instances of the Windows Explorer will stop the drive from ejecting.

On occasion, a music player can lock an external drive because it's trying to identify any media on all of the drives in the system.
    If you're really worried about it, you can reboot. (I don't know if logging off and on will work, but worth a try.)