Problem faced when installing Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by abcd0_12340, Nov 5, 2008.

1. abcd0_12340

abcd0_12340 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2008
    When I'm installing the latest service pack on my service pack 2 system, a prompt stating "A device attached to the system is not functioning." The update had to roll back and undo the changes. I restarted the system and tried again but the same problem stil persist. What is the cause of this?

2. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #2 datcat, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
    Before SP3, did you start with:
    -a fully updated SP2? M$ Updates selected by type: High Priority - Are there ANY further updates available?

-a clean Registry? Did you use a Regcleaner prior trying to update to SP3?

-a defragmented HDD? Did you defragment the HDD prior trying to update to SP3?

-a backed up HDD? Did you "image-backup" the HDD prior trying to update to SP3?

-(Go to) Start-Control Panel-System-System Properties-Hardware TAB-Device Manager-View Devices by connection-<computer name>-ACPI Multiprocessor PC-Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System-PCI bus - ANY yellow icons here?? (from uninstalled devices)

-what is your computer brand?

-what M$ Windows version do you have? OEM? VLK? RETAIL?

-what are the 1st ~10 characters, of the number, written in (Go to) Start-Control Panel-System-System Properties-General TAB - BELOW "Registered to:"?

-what SP3 source did you use? M$ download: "Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File" or "Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers"?

-did you slipstream SP3 with old M$ install disk into nLite ISO-file?

-Was this of any help for you? :):eek:
    -POST HERE, LET US KNOW how it went!

3. abcd0_12340

abcd0_12340 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2008
    The computer I'm using is a self-fix (DIY) computer. I got a Original Dell XP SP1a installed into the system. Then, I fully updated it to SP2 from Microsoft Update. The SP3 source is also from Microsoft Update.

The computer's 2 160 GB HDD is newly fixed - less than a few days old, so i didn't defrag and back it up.

There is no yellow icons under device manager.

The computer is registered to me, with the product key of 55274-OEM-... So, the version is an OEM then.

4. James33

James33 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2008
    There are updates between SP2 and SP3, I suggest checking windows update before installing SP3.....

5. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #5 datcat, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Things are less complicated with a plain wxp/wxpp, as you have, than with a wxppmce as in my case.

Read "Suicide Solution's" excellent Sticky thread above...

You may wanna compare with my struggles getting SLP1.0 to work here.

If you have got a OEM BIOS in your machine you are lucky!
    Then WGA activation becomes MUCH LESS ANNOYING than usual!

But hey, stop, "...self-fix (DIY) computer. ...Original Dell XP SP1a installed into the system"...

ie.
    your (DIY) computer DOES NOT have the right combination, of "oembios etc. files" AND "OEM BIOS String", at installation!

SP3 compares and find "Original Dell XP SP1a installed" NOT COMPATIBLE to above files AND MISSING "OEM BIOS String"...
    Hence your install is rejected. It is not meant to work, and does not.

To my understanding it can be made to work by injecting an "OEM BIOS String" into your existing BIOS.

or better

use an OEM BIOS suitable for your MOBO. (Change identity to OEM so to say)
    -What BRAND and MODEL is your MOBO?

If you wanna experiment with this:
    -this is the right forum, look up the threads above
    -my knowledge has come to an end here
    -better someone more knowledgeable continues...

PS. Since you can connect to M$ Update I assume you have circomvented WGA somehow...
    This trick does not seem to work on SP3 though...

6. abcd0_12340

abcd0_12340 MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2008
    After trying to install SP3 from the "Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers", my computer has successfully been updated. Thanks for your the help and advices given =)

7. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    You are welcome - thank's for sharing your success with us! :):eek:

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Sp2 ->sp3

Just want to backup a point James 33 made.

No matter what MS "fix" I tried, I could not update directly from SP2 to SP3 - which you want to do since SP3 contains all of the interim updates since SP2. Some claim - and there is a fix for it (which did not work for me) - that AMD processors, which I use, somehow conflict with SP3.

In frustration (I remember it well), I finally said "screw it" (or some other colorful metaphor - as Spock would say) and applied all of the updates to SP2. Then SP3 installed flwlessly.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #9 datcat, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    @James33 and HMonk:

This was my 1st point above...
    ...is my english that "foggy"? :confused::eek:

10. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Foggy

No Datcat . . .

Sometimes I am guilty of quickly skimming through posts thinking of similar problems that have occurred on my machines and I miss what was said.

I will slow down :(

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #11 datcat, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    Don't be sad man!

Your are beeing helpful to others - that is what counts! :):eek: