Problem getting into osafe mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by snappie, Apr 3, 2011.

1. snappie

snappie MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2011
    Hey,
    So basically my parents had a power outage. Whenever the computer starts up (past the loading windows screen) they get a fatal error. They've been using a really old computer for quite some time, and before I had my own computer and went to college I think I put some form of linux (Probably ubuntu) on it.

I'm trying to help them get into safe mode, but they're saying a red screen with slic loaders is coming up instead of safe mode options when they push F8. Unfortunately, I'm 400 miles away at the moment and I cannot help them besides over the phone.

(copy and pasted this from another forum, but i think this is what they see)
    Windows 7 with SLIC Loader (default)
    Windows 7 with SLIC Loader
    Windows 7 with SLIC Loader(use altrnate method)
    Windows 7 with SLIC Loader(full debug output)
    Windows 7 with SLIC Loader (more forceful - may crash)
    load external menu (menu. 1st)
    grub command line

What can I tell them to get them into safe mode? I'm well aware that the fatal error may have completely messed up their motherboard though. :X

Thanks guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    A simple power outage is not likely to do any damage. If there was a power surge (or droop) associated with the outage, and they have no AC line protection, then a power fluctuation could be a cause. In that case, and since the computer is ancient in your own words, they may be in the market for a new computer.

I'm a bit confused though. You're not sure what the OS is, you think it's Linux and yet you post Windows 7 screen messages indicating " ... this is what they see". If you do remember correctly and it's a Linux OS, and it's very old, no Windows 7 messages will be seen unless 7 has been installed. Has maybe someone else been working on the computer unbeknownst to you?

My sister, son and daughter live hundreds of miles from me and I built their various computers. When they've had a serious problem (PSU failure with cascading damage to other components for example) I've found it impossible to provide help via remote control. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get hands on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...