Problem in installing windows 7 in AHCI mode

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasfar_rf5, Mar 22, 2011.

1. rasfar_rf5

rasfar_rf5 MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    Hi...
    I'm trying to install Windows 7 64 bit in my Acer Aspire 4736 laptop. In the bios setup SATA mode AHCI is set as default one. But i'm insatlling it. Its not working properly..

Problem occurs like overloading. DVD drive not working etc. Can any one pls help me...:confused::confused::confused:

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Check the Acer website for instructions. My experience with an Acer laptop with XP was their site was pretty good for upgrades and problem resolution. Not and Acer obiously, but when I installed Windows 7 on my wife's Toshiba netbook, 7 installed the necessary AHCI drivers. With my two Eee PC 1000HE netbooks I had to install and run in IDE emulation mode. I have the Asus AHCI drivers, but IDE mode is fine for my needs and in fact 7 in IDE emulation mode is faster than XP in AHCI mode. YMMV.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Oery

Oery MDL Junior Member

Nov 14, 2010
  4. rasfar_rf5

rasfar_rf5 MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    Actually i'm installing it from my USB dirve. Whn I'm installing From the SATA mode 'AHCI'
    - DVD Driver will not work
    - Windows logon speed is very slow
    - And opening My Computer is also too much overloading

But at the same time whn i'm installing Windows 7 in SATA mode 'IDE' no problem occurs. This is wht my confusion..

Hope you can help me.. Waiting for your reply.. :(

5. rasfar_rf5

rasfar_rf5 MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    Thanks for your information i'll try this :rolleyes:

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #7 LatinMcG, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    u can also add the ahci driver from intel at the beginning of 7 install it has a drivers prompt saved to same usb. . (Load driver. then browse to USB)
    *ww.winsupersite.com/content/content/128507/win7/win7_rtm_12.jpg;pv45586db46e6677d4
    makes it a lil faster than ide mode.

7. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    What is more important is " from MS:

During the Windows 7 or Windows Vista installation process, any unused storage drivers are disabled. This behavior speeds up the operating system's startup process. When you change the boot drive to a driver that has been disabled, you must enable the new driver before you change the hardware configuration.

For example, assume that you install Windows Vista or Windows 7 on a computer that contains a controller that uses the Pciide.sys driver. Later, you change the SATA mode to AHCI. Therefore, the drive must now load the Msahci.sys driver. However, you must enable the Msahci.sys driver before you make this change.

This issue affects only the boot drive. If the drive that you change is not the boot drive, you do not experience this issue. ""

I had been using Sata drive on AHCI mode. for almost a year since win 7. however during past three months my three Hard drives became unreadable to BIOS when restoring the Image by Acronis. It takes a while and boots the pc , I think Acronis is using it's own driver and win switches of it's AHCI driver and when you boot after the restore , you are stuck in Bios ,as it is unable to read the drive. if you pull out the data cable from C:\ drive the computer boots and there not operating system ? or a spare drive ??

Learned from Hard experience , Slow and steady is better . thank you for the link to MS info site.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011