problem installing from usb

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by throbber, Feb 7, 2010.

1. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    i have just tryed to install win7 from usb for the first time.
    loaded files
    installing features
    installing updates
    reboots
    then reloads files and the option to install again ??
    do i have to pull out the usb at some point ??

2. Technoboots

Technoboots MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    I'd guess that once it reboots you should remove the usb device. When windows installs it copies files to the hard drive which it then uses to install. Since the files are now on the hard drive the usb drive isn't needed anymore. It's the same as when you install from a cd or dvd, when it restarts you skip the load from cd or dvd option and let it continue to load from the HD.

3. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    thx.......ill try that the next time.

4. Svend Rugaard

Svend Rugaard MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2007
    You should make the Harddrive be first boot and actually the best way is jus tto access the QUIK boot option and chose the USB as first boot, but still this is only until reboot, then the Harddrive should again be 1st Boot Device and this way you dont get that problem you have.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #5 Snuffy, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    USB install from Quik Boot Option

Exactly what I do... insert the USB click restart and hold down the Quick Boot Option (F12)on(my system) - select the USB and install - on 1st REBOOT then goes into the HDD as it should be and install completes.

If you do not have a Quik Boot option, remove the USB when the 1st REBOOT is starting.... It will not screw your USB.... but it will then Boot to HDD and complete.

6. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    ......never new i had the f12 option...worked perfectly:)
    thx for all replys.

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #7 Dolorous Edd, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    What I have found to work

1. use the MS tool to prep the usb drive
    2. insure that boot order is hdd, cdrom, try other devices.
    3. boot with stick in REAR usb port (some cases have cheap, very high gauge wire that bleeds causing install failure).
    4. hit f11 and/or f12 (or whatever key brings up your boot menu) select the USB drive.

Reasons for boot failure or install failure are usually trying to use the front panel or incorrect boot order, don't try to set usb-hdd, usb-cdrom or any thing else first. Just use the traditional cdrom, hdd or hdd, cdrom with boot other devices enabled and then invoke the boot menu when trying to boot to a usb device. The other causes usually stem from the creation of the boot/install files on the usb drive.

NOTE: I have seen mobo's that us F2, F8, F11, F12 to invoke the boot menu, yesterday I worked on one that had no boot menu options (had to create a dvd for install).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...