Problem updating ASUS P5LP-LE BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sicstus, Jun 9, 2007.

1. sicstus

sicstus MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2007
    I'm having problems updating my ASUS P5LP-LE which is in a HP machine.
    I've located the correct bios file for the board from the forums (vista oem) but when I try to run th HP install software I get the following message:- Proper command line parameters were not passed. No action taken.

Has anyone managed to update one of these boards / Any suggestions?

2. vdesai

vdesai MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    1. go to hp.com
    2. Download the SLIC BIOS From here
    3. Download latest BIOS update from HP.com
    4. Run the BIOS Update from HP
    5. Go all the way till the message with the ok button shows up
    6. Do Windows key + R and type in %temp%
    7. look for the folder with the same files as the one you downloaded from here
    8. Replace the .rom file in your temp with the one from here
    9. Hit ok and be happy

I dont have this board but I have another HP board same update process

3. sicstus

sicstus MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks vdesai - your a star:D

4. vdesai

vdesai MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    No problem :)

5. pei_boy

pei_boy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    Any of you loose your 'Enable Away Mode Driver' option in the bios? I no longer have it, and when I try to use the restore disk (XP MCE) that I created when I bought the computer, it now says I dont have a qualifying HP computer.

Anyone?

6. sicstus

sicstus MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2007
    I had no problems re-installing the XP from recovery disc after "testing" vista.

7. pei_boy

pei_boy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    I assume you used the method above to flash yours. Your post was put up after I did mine. I used Winflash (1.73 I believe) as, as you said, the update program wouldnt take the .bin that XBIOSES created.

I wonder if there was some kind of an ID or 'bit' that was in the bios that I overwrote by using the alternate version of Winflash?

I'd love to get it back the way it was, I have a user support issue with the box and HP is hesitant to troubleshoot w/o the restore software back on there... and I cant get it back on... it just says 'not qualifying product' :mad:

8. vdesai

vdesai MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    Try re flashing the original BIOS

9. pei_boy

pei_boy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007

Hehe, long past that option. ;-) I feel it may be lost and gone forever :-(

10. sicstus

sicstus MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2007
    Hi mate

Can't you just flash it again with the latest bios and installer from HP and either stick with XP or try the above method?

11. pei_boy

pei_boy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007

No go. I think that updating the bios with Winflash 1.84 may have overwrote the SMBIOS info in some way, making it not think its an HP anymore?

12. vdesai

vdesai MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    Try updating it that should fix it using HP's latest utility and use some kind of Emulation device ;) until a new safe mod is requested and made. I had HP a1350n BIOS modded I updated to the latest and the SLIC was gone (was basically the same ver BIOS) so it dosent recognize it as a Award BIOS what error do you get when you try the HP update BIOS.

13. sicstus

sicstus MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2007
    I can PM you a copy of my BIOS if you want it . You can then use winflash to update.

14. pei_boy

pei_boy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    I got a copy of the bios for the exact same model as mine from a friend. Flashed fine and the features are now there. Also, I then updated the bios with the method someone mentioned earlier (replacing the bios bin in the temp directory). That worked fine, now I have the Vista SLIC table, and the missing features back.

... only prob. now is that I have the wrong Serial Number etched into the bios... but thats ok, the correct one is on the case sticker.

15. ambrius

ambrius MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2007
    Hi Guys

I'm having problem to update using the methods above. I'm uing a HP 7480 model and when I update using the substitution method presented I've got a message 'incorrect bios for your system (253)'. The package is sp26837.exe but the modded bios 317 does not seem to fit my system.

Does someone have an idea ?
    Thanks