problem when booting

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by triplling755, Jun 25, 2011.

1. triplling755

triplling755 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2011
    Please help me. every time i turn on my computer, the computer will starts then shut down after 3-5 seconds.

2. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice MDL Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hey, welcome to MDL, this isn't the correct place to put this problem ;) Depending on your operating system, put the topic in the correct forum and please give us more details there like system specs, if you had any problems before, overheating, and if you have flashed your bios, etc. :)

3. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #3 starams5, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    Hi, check the CPU, make sure it's secured properly to the board, the fan is working, and the heatsink is free of dust. The board could be shorting to something as well, or the power supply is dying. To test for a short, remove the board from the box, place it on a non-conductive surface, and attempt to start it outside the case with minimal hardware (1 stick of ram, CPU/fan/heatsink, PSU).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    PSU issue mostly

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. UVAIS

UVAIS MDL Expert

Mar 17, 2011
    are you facing same problem in SAFE MODE ?;)

(Press F8 to enter in safe mode):eek:

6. TheStar

TheStar MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    What kind of computer is it? Laptop or Desktop? What model? Any blinking lights or error codes? The more information you post, the easier it is for us to help you.

7. yorkshire

yorkshire MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    Enter BIOS settings - Depending on your BIOS, Disable any USB Keyboard options.
    Test Windows?, Move onto step 3
    UNPLUG all USB connectors, including keyboard and mice USB. Use PS2 keyboard for BIOS settings.

8. Dryparker

Dryparker MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2011
    Just try to update your PC's RAM and Restart your system again.

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    If that happens when your computer is 'cool' then, as most people said, its probably a dying PSU. If you can test using a different PSU and see if it works.

If the problem remains after changing to a different PSU, then chances are you have a dying motherboard. I thought chances for something like that to happen are very slim - until it happened to me last year :(

As it turned out, some of the mobo capacitors were start leaking. Which was caused by insufficient ventilation/heat build up.

Ended up buying a new mobo and a new - more spacious - ATX case with 3 huge fans on it. It won't happen again :p