Problem with automatic refreshing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dave., Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dave.

Dave. MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    Hello, this will be my first post over here, even though I read the forums often :p

So, I've got this problem since not too long ago with folder refreshing. Actually, it's not just folders, but almost everything seems to not refresh. Ex: I create a new file with right-click -> new text document, it does not appear until I refresh. If I save a file, somewhere, It does not appear until I refresh. If I uninstall a program, it's not removed from the list until I refresh. If I delete something from my start menu, it does not disappear until it gets refreshed (usually when you log off or you kill explorer.exe)

This seriously sucks and I have no idea why it happens. It's been like that since a couple of weeks. I've read some stuff about folder sharing and refresh problems, and some registry things, but it's been of no help.

So please MDL, pimp my ride!

2. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    i occasionally have this problem with deletions, the item doesn't disappear, but if i refresh it's gone

3. Drk1lucian

Drk1lucian MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2011
    I have a similar problem from time to time. Now, I'm not exactly sure what causes it, I'm pretty sure I've found the solution.
    Click your start button, type %temp% and hit enter to open your Local temp data folder.
    Highlight it all, and shift+delete. Not all the files will be deleted, or even let you delete them, just ignore it, and let it continue deleting the ones it can.
    Again, not sure what causes the problem, but this has always fixed the immediate updating issue, like if I save an image from the web onto my desktop. It's not a permanent fix, but it lasts long enough to where it's not -that- much of an issue.

4. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #4 a_catalin, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    Hi.
    If the periodical erase of the Temp content really helps, then I could give you a small program that does that automatically and invisible at Windows startup...

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #5 burfadel, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The folder refresh thing is by design, for some unknown reason!

Copy and paste the following into notepad and save, say as folderrefresh.reg then run it :) (must have a .reg extension)

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance]
    "CLSID"="{4D5C8C2A-D075-11D0-B416-00C04FB90376}"
    "DontRefresh"=dword:00000000
    This will change it so any actions you do will show immediately, without having to refresh the folder etc. '1' is the default setting, meaning the folder doesn't refresh! how stupid is that? :)

Its like not showing the file extensions for known file types, its just there to annoy you ;)