Problem with cloning

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by roocoon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. roocoon

roocoon MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2007
    Hello.
    I just cloned a couple of disks in my laptop and ended up with an unexpected problem. I haven't tried any fixes yet but I'm curious if somebody has any idea on why it happened and how to get around it.

The laptop (running XP SP3 Pro) has two 120GB disks connected to a RAID controller but they are treated as two standalone disks. Each has a single partition in it.
    The first (primary and bootable) is C: and the second is D: (logical partition).

As a first step, I connected a new 500GB disk through a USB adapter and using diskmgmt, I created on it a primary (G: ) and a logical partition (H: ) of 250GB each.

I then used Ghost 15 SP1, cloned partition C: to G: and D: to H: and closed down Ghost.

I restarted the system manually and unplugged the new USB disk soon as it shut down, expecting to boot up with the old disks.

I get the boot menu, select Windows, and get to the 'press Ctrl+Alt+Del to logon' popup.

But the Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. Only thing alive is the mouse (I can click and open the 'help' on this popup) but that's all. Only the power button works.

So what happened?
    How come the original installation has been altered. It looks like the system picks up part of the drivers (used for booting) from one disk and then looks maybe for the other disk to get user-specific files.

Whatever the reason, what's the best way to recover?
    Registry fixes, FIXMBR, XP Repair or something else?

By the way, the following step is to also install a second 500GB primary disk and load Win7 on it.

Thanks in advance.

2. roocoon

roocoon MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2007
    Problem resolved.

The system was using boot drivers from C: but by the time it got to the desktop, it had set as %SystemDrive% the G: partition which was offline of course, and got stuck in never-never-land.

It took a couple of renames of \DosDevices\ in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\ area of the registry and all was well again.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, if you copy from live system (without the image stage) that what can happen
    Better to do it via WinPE bootable disk

sebus