Problem with HDD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Vampi, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Hello, guys! Long time not writing anything here. Last time you help me a lot and I wanna thank you again. So here is the new problem.

One friend has HP probook 450 g1 laptop. I reinstall his windows and its fresh Windows 7 64 bit. The problem is when he start the laptop a black screen appear with CHKD test of hard disk and the files on the hard disk. All the time test said HDD is ok but never stop. Sometime the laptop is loading slowly but he works without any problem. I saw the PAGE FILE is moving to another place in C drive which I think is an another issue that I need to tell you. Thats why I think its a problem with Hard disk or with HDD files system. Probably there is no problem with Windows because its fresh installed, all partition are new created and formated.

If you have any suggestions or idea what may be the problem I will be happy if you comment and help me. Thank you!

2. President_Trump

President_Trump MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2016
    As far as I know, pagefile.sys should be in the root directory.

Try running "sfc /scannow" from an elevated (As administrator) command (CMD) prompt.
    It will check for missing/corrupt system files and repair them.

Forgot to ask: why did you reinstall the OS? Was the disk reporting errors? Perhaps it's bad and requires replacement.

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Check if you have the controller installed and don't forget to also upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Nevertheless, there is something wrong with the HDD.

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I see this sort of error when installing Win 7 and the other drives have been formatted with Win 10. Don't ask me why.

What OS was on the laptop before you installed Win 7 ?

Was it Win 10 ?

When installing Win 7 did you do a custom install and delete all partitions before making new ones, this may help. Then again it may not.o_O

5. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    I reinstall the OS and formatted the HDD because the C: drive was very tiny and it was full of information and making a lot of problems. The page file was in D: drive also before the fresh installation. I install BIOS last version possible which support Windows 7. I had never install Windows 10 on this laptop. The partition system is MBR not GPT. Before the new installation Windows crushing randomly with Blue Screen of Death saying: memory dump error and something about corrupted files on drive or Windows folder.

Before installation I try to make C: drive bigger with another program: AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional v5.6.4. The program was very slowly and after restart I stop the loading which was going to make my drive bigger at the beggining when It was cutting the D: drive to use it to extend the C: drive. Then after restart there was a Black Screen which load 3-4 hours security Windows files and the laptop load normally. The problem which appear was the folders in D: drive were with limited user permission. I save the important files to portable HDD and after that I made the fresh installation. This is what happen.[h=1][/h]

6. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    It means no more problems after format and fresh install right? Can be something for the new Windows ?

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    What size is this hard drive...by that I mean what size does it say on the top printed label?
    How large is the C partition and how much free space do you see on this drive?
    If you list the specs including manufacture and model number, We can locate the software from the manufacture to test the health status of this drive

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    replace hdd and call it a day.

9. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    HDD is 1 TB. C drive is 200 Gb right now. 30 Gb are used and 160 free.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That's only 390gb's. Where's the rest of that 1tb drive?
    A Low Level Format and a clean install of 7 might solve your problem. A LLF will wipe the entire drive, so get any data off from it before you wipe it, if you don't.... it'll be gone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Crime[Scene]

Crime[Scene] MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    My guess is the balance is the D: drive/partition.

12. ianymaty

ianymaty MDL Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Install Hard Disk Sentinel in trial mode to see the status of the drive's health.

Than do a low level format as Bat.1 suggested.

13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @OP: When you reinstalled Windows, did you delete the old partitions and let Windows make new ones?
    That's what I do when I reinstall. I manually delete any partitions that already exist and let Windows put fresh ones down.

After Windows is installed, you can repartition the drive as you see fit.