Problem with hdd

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Anna17, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Anna17

Anna17 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2017
    Hello. I have a problem with a 2.5" hdd, I connect it to the computer as an external one is all right but when I connect it as an interior it does not know it asks for formats There is no solution to not do it because I have many files and I do not have to put them on.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What interface/adapter you use to make it external?

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Use spoilers to fold small that image... :)

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Anna17: Ok some silly questions first.

1 ) What OS, Computer are you trying to plug the drive into?

2 ) Is the drive IDE or sata? (That controller shows that it can support either one.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #6 Mr.X, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Sabrent USB-DSC5

$_57.jpg

This little bas**rd, made my life miserable since the beginning, since I bought it.
    Contacted the manufacturer and told me my HDD's controller board is incompatible with the adapter... wth?

Mostly sata drives won't work with, some of them do.
    I have two old WD IDE hdds and they work fine either externally or internally.

I think the same is happening to you.

I noticed since the beginning that either you format your hdd internally with the pc but won't be visible via the adapter, or, format the drive via the adapter but won't be visible connected via internal ports.

6. Anna17

Anna17 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2017
    I have Windows 10 Pro and HDD is sata

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That drive has windows 10, What operating system are you trying to connect it to?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #10 Mr.X, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    RAW - that's exactly my same issue, by the way.

Again,

If you format the drive via the Manhattan adapter:
    - It's accessible via the same adapter
    - It's not accessible via internal sata port (RAW)
    - Once formatted this way, all files and folders are accessible via the adapter, otherwise RAW.

If you format the drive via internal sata port:
    - It's accessible via internal sata port
    - It's not accessible via Manhattan adapter (RAW)
    - Once formatted this way, all files and folders are accessible via the internal port, otherwise RAW.

9. Anna17

Anna17 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2017
    Ok, thank you very much. I formatted now via internal sata port

10. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    Hmm, kinda interesting no one asked Anna17 if she had anything on the drive worth keeping, before going ahead with the formatting stuff.

The OP is a tad obscure on that point, in my opinion. Lets hope it went well.

I myself use a docking station for loose hdd's and for 2´5 SATA SSD there is nothing like a SATA to USB connector, got mine via Samsung drive retail packages.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hope she did before.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What model may I ask?

13. From my experience I can say these adapters never work as per sata or usb standard. Each manufacturer has its own set of standards which may or may not work with some HDDs. The best advice to give here is to keep buying until you find something that works for you. You will never find any reviews, good ones anyway about stuff like this. It must be done via trial-and-error.

Some guidelines:
    • always buy adapters with power bricks (preferably one with an output of 4Amps or more)
    • for ide drives, buy the oldest adapter you can find (manufacture date)
    • keep in mind that most adapters will not support drives above 2TB (or ~1.8TB)
    • most will not support usb 3.0, even if they say it does

14. an0n107

an0n107 MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2017
    Cringed when I saw the post saying format.. I was going to say make a backup using Macrium Reflect or Acronis first.. hope it went ok

15. I would also like to add, whatever you wind up getting, also buy yourself some extender cables from (SATA+POWER Male - SATA+POWER Female). That connector will not last long if plug/unplug your HDD everyday. The same goes to USB as well. Planned obsolescence they call it...

16. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    I have had those problems. grrrrrrrrr