Problem with inserting 3.5 HDD into Win 8.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ductiena12, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ductiena12

ductiena12 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    Hey guy ! I'm using a window 8 pro version. I've a problem with inserting my old HDD 3.5 inch into my new window 8 system. It contains all HDRip films that i downloaded from internet. First time when i plug it into my system, window explorer did not show anything, i'd checked disk management and there's nothing there too. Then i restart window 8 and wolaaa here it is, the whole disk appeared in front of my eyes.

So my question: is that a normal thing or something goes wrong with my system ? I mean, there's one more step to take than the old window 7, just plug the HDD in and then it ready to use.

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    First Windows installs driver and then a restart is required for it to be functional

3. ductiena12

ductiena12 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks for your quick comment ! Love it ! But the system did not ask to restart or install driver or somethings, it just show nothing when i pluged my HDD. I have to restart myself and then it show up. In Window 7 i just have to plug in and window show up an install driver (like you said) then it able to function, no need to restart. Win 8 did not do that. Is is normal things ?

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    USB? Or did you plug a sata drive in while running?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ductiena12

ductiena12 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks for asking ! It's an internal 3.5 inch HDD from Western Digital and I absolutely shutdown the system before i pluged it in. My system run on AHCI mode ! Any clues ?

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    None other than this, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you have doubts about the long term status of this drive then buy a new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ductiena12

ductiena12 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2011
    I has checked health status of that HDD and the result show completely normal. It just disturb me that i've to restart to use it while in win 7 i didn't have to do that. Did you have any problem with inserting HDD ?

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    check the log for errors .. If none move on or if you find error determine what the OS had to do to repair .. also check MS for known issue

9. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I have had to reboot for some hard drives to be visible after a driver install.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sometimes a revitalize (new degausing) of the HD is in order. I run older HD's every 3-4 month with Revitalizer Apps to keep them in good shape. I also run Windows 8 for some special restings on an old MB and single core P5 (775) CPU while that HD is 15years old (just 40GB) and no problem. I had change a few weeks ago from an 18years old HD with XP to that 40GB HD. That's the computer I use for to run the revitalizer Apps and other small special tool apps now under Windows 8.

I really would suggest to use to revitalize HD's after a use of 3 years.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Then please, let us know what it actually is that a revitalizer does.

Well, for a server-class hard drive at the time I guess that's right. However, I think that this (server-grade hardware) is the reason why it's still working, not software.

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I am still getting a warm fuzzy from my seagate cheetahs :biggrin: when the market for Sata mechanical hard drives sky rocketed a SCSI 73 gb new was only $60.00 to run OS ... Enterprise class , No worries .. For what I use them for it was a no brainer :D

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I wrote that in my post already that revitalize is an degausing of the HDD, or precise of the platters of an HD. That's used for to for to (using not so precise explanation , just more understandable) re-magnetize the platters of an HD which didn't has anything to do with Low Level formatting. While revitalize a HD, the existing data will kept and not lost.

Data Recovery Service Companies using as one of the first steps, if the HD is still spinning, revitalizing (degausing). This bring bring a lot so called Bad Sectors back tu life and readable!

Said that, Low Level formatting could still be used on todays SATA HD's but common. SCSI Controllers like the Adaptec series still having the Low Level Format function. Some Tool Apps of HD Manufacturers also still having the software function for Low Level formatting.

On Servers SCSI HDD's are still in use with an capacity up to 143GB and 15000Rpm which produces a data transfer up to 320MB/s

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009