problem with install new sata HDD .

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by fibola, Oct 29, 2015.

1. fibola

fibola MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2011
    hello to all,

last week i got a new 1 tera western digital sataII hdd.
    since i dont have any more available cable inside my pc , just for add it to my other hdd's, i replaced it with another old 160gb sata hdd.
    problem is that when i restart my system it doesn't pass the dos (or look alike) "loading operation system" message and when i disconnect this new hdd from it power operation system load perfect .

i know im not suppose to connect hardware while power is on , but i did and the new hdd were installed formated and was ready to use , only when restart OS once again, the loading operation system were stuck (again until i disconnect it).

i thought that maybe OS looking for my old hdd which had a different letter but then again , when i disconnect the new hdd OS was working even without reinstall the old hdd.

im using windows 8.1 version.

any thought ....

thanx

2. Captain_WD

Captain_WD MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Hey there fibola,

Is the drive recognized properly in BIOS (capacity and model)? Is your primary drive with the OS on top of the boot list in BIOS? I would check these two things and see if the computer boots properly when the OS drive is on the top.
    Could you post a screenshot from your Disk Management? What is the exact model of the new WD drive? Posting your whole specs list of your PC might be helpful.

Captain_WD.

3. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Go to your motherboard mfg's website and make sure you have the latest bios loaded.

Go into your PC bios and reset to defaults. Try to boot. After that, if necessary, go back into bios and change individual items as needed to taylor motherboard operations to what you desire.

If still having problems, try erasing all partitions on new drive and then re-partition the drive and format it. Maybe something is scrambled on the drive causing the system to be confused during boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. fibola

fibola MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2011
    thanx will try that later when ill get home.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    only time i had similar issue was when hdd was detected as Large not LBA in bios.
    try unplug old hdd and try new in old hdd sata cable and see if u ca boot linux and read/format new hdd

6. BoobyTrap

BoobyTrap MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2015
    Try changing ports if available. There could be a conflict.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Same thing happens to me in one of my personal old PCs. I found false contact as the culprit of my headache.
    I cleaned the sata port onboard the mobo and re-seat sata data cable few times and is working fine again. LOL corrosion is evil.