Problem with installing Windows 7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Vampi, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Hello guys. I have very big problem when I try to make fresh install of Windows 7. I separate my HDD on "C" (system) and "D". Booting normaly. Setup starts and everything is "Ok". When I go to partitions screen I format my C and after that this error appear: "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." and I can't continue the setup. I read many posts and almost everywhere the only thing to do is delete all partitions and create them again which will delete all my information from "D". I'm looking for information is there any other way to fix this problem. One friend told me I have to set proper boot device from BIOS, and there is a two DVD boot devices but I have only one on my laptop. The first device is UEFI: DVD (etc.) and the second P02: DVD (etc.). They are same but one says is UEFI. When I want to install windows in MBR drive should I choose second option? After that the problem will not happen again and I will no need to format all HDD?

Thanks for the help! Sorry for my english which is not very good but I think you understand me.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As your current Windows installation is done using UEFI mode (hint: the partition is GPT already), so without formatting the whole HDD its kinda complex to re-install in MBR mode.

Why are you trying to choose MBR mode? If your main goal is to activate Windows (using Daz's loader) then you can also opt for bios mod or KMS activation which works perfectly on UEFI-GPT systems.

3. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    I think my installation now is on MBR mode. There is any way to check is it on MBR or GPT? Last time when I installed windows I think it was on MBR but I'm not really sure. If it's on MBR there will be no need to format my HDD which is very good if you know what I mean.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #4 Tito, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @Vampi

"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." - it clearly states you're booting in legacy style & try to install Windows in MBR mode whereas your existing installation is in UEFI-GPT mode.

Anyway, you can still determine it - press Shift + F10, in the Command Prompt type:
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk

If the output is something like this:
    Code:
    DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          465 GB  1024 KB        *

where Disk 0 is your target disk, then its formatted as GPT.

5. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    GPT doesn't have a tick (*). The other things are the same.
    DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 698 GB 100 MB

6. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Thank you very much! Maybe tomorow I will have some time to try and I will write in the forum what happened. I already have a backup of data and I'm free to test. ;)

7. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Vampi

Vampi MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2012
    Everything is OK. Thank you very much guys. I boot like I said. Normal MBR mode. No need to format my "D" drive and I feel very happy. Thanks again! Lock this topic! :)

9. YukinoAi

YukinoAi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2015
    So that you don't have to reinstall the OS just to change boot modes.

Technically the UEFI spec allows for cross booting (MBR disks w/UEFI and GPT w/BIOS mode) but strongly encourages using GPT when in UEFI mode, and that's the only format Windows officially supports. It's not supported by Microsoft, OEMs, or me, or anyone, but if everything else is appropriately configured (the MBR disk has a fat32 formatted partition, architecture specific UEFI boot files are present, a bootx64.efi/bootia32.efi/bootmgfw.efi entry added to the UEFI nvram, the UEFI is “sane”), it will totally work. Windows won't care that it UEFI booted from an MBR disk at all.

Same thing with UEFI booting from different file systems. The 2.3.1 spec requires that UEFI systems read Fat32 naively but there's nothing to say they can't also read the boot files from NTFS/HFS+/Ext4 as well.