Problem with laptop HDD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chillgates, Aug 2, 2021.

1. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    My friend got a HP laptop which is 5 years old. He complained a continuous clicking sound coming from laptop today. I installed HDD sentinel remotely to check for errors. It looks like HDD sentinel couldn't get information of HDD correctly because it is showing info that HDD only running from 140 days which is wrong. And also it says that Read / Write is only 5 Mb or so. And it shows remaining HDD life as 1000 days or more.

But real problem is that HDD ran for more than 500 days. And it running very slow that apps take lot of time to load.

So i thought that HDD motor has problem or some bad sectors exists which HDD sentinel couldn't identify it.

When chkdsk ran from wind0wz , the status bar shows error starting message but it is checking later. Shows no problem.

I started chkdsk c: /f /r at command prompt and told him to wait till it finish ( 10 hours approx it shows ).

Can anybody tell me HDD sentinel alternative that works correctly for laptop hdds to show errors and remaining life ?

2. That HDD is toast, probably no hope of fixing it,
    best to immediately backup all important data and buy another HDD (or upgrade to SSD)

3. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    I need a working app to know actual problem, not the advise to buy new hdd / backup etc which i know.

4. I think you are misunderstanding the power on time (140 days)
    It is the time the HDD has been powered on, not the time since you started to use the SSD.
    Eg: I have been using my SSD for ~6 months, but the power on time is reported as 49 days as I don't keep my PC on 24x7

5. Skunk1966

Skunk1966 MDL Member

Jul 15, 2011
    use HDDRegenerator or DiskGenius to check HDD health; those 2 can do what's impossible to check with CHKDSK command. If you need any of those 2 softwares you know how to contact me

6. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    #6 chillgates, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    (OP)
    Ok, i told my friend to wait with patience till chkdsk finish. If he can't wait and stop chkdsk in middle, i run those softwares on his laptop. I got Diskgenius setup with me.

7. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    Update -

After 2 hours of chkdsk, my friend's laptop rebooted without confirmation. He wasn't there to see the results of chkdsk. I told him to backup data ASAP. He thought of buying new SSD. Then i suggested to buy a new laptop itself because its battery gone already. So instead of paying huge money to battery and SSD, he can buy new laptop. Big upgrades to old laptop is not good as it crossed 5 years. Right now digging amazon for new HP touchscreen lappies.

8. knetxp

knetxp MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2010
    1. Check the disk using HD Tune Pro or CrystalDiskInfo.
    2. Backup important files and change an HDD or SSD.

9. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    As I'm sure you know, clicking sounds from a hard drive mean it's on death's door. Back up what you can, throw it away and replace it. Don't waste too much time trying to analyze it.

10. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    Actual problem was the cpu fan making sounds. Was mistaken it as hdd sound. Any way my friend may buy a new laptop as he is going to Australia for higher studies. He is going to dump this laptop.

11. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Hmm, cpu fan on laptop might be harder to get to than disk drive...

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Sometimes a real nightmare indeed

13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    If you can't get another fan just lubricate the one you have. It's dried out. I've done this several times on different laptops and so far it's always fixed it.