problem with shared printer installation in win 8 pro!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MAHDi25, Apr 15, 2013.

1. MAHDi25

MAHDi25 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    Hi all:
    I want connect and install shared printer from local network(\\SamplePC\HP Laser jet 1300).
    But when start connect to the printer then look attached picture and
    after long wait then fail and show message is "Can not connect to the printer".

network_printer.PNG

how to resolve this problem also install shared printer driver without connect to windows update(simple win8 enterprise)???

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You have 2 way for to connect to an shred Printer:
    1. using the Add a Printer wizard and chose the Network/Shared Printer from the list
    2. use the Network connection to the that machine where the Printer is connected and with an right click on that printer chose to install.
    Please keep in mind: that printer must be installed as Network Printer, means it must be fully shared and that machine and the printer must be switched ON while you try to connect.

If you use static IP's for the computer on that network, you also use that for to connect for to install the printer on an 2. machine. In that case you could type in the command line of file manager: (example:p \\192.168.1.156 (or whatever IP that is beginning with 2 \\!) and you will be connedt to that computer and see the shared devices in file manager. Click on the printer to install.

Check your right for the connection to the computer and the printer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MAHDi25

MAHDi25 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    All ways checked but also show first post attached image message.
    :confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_O:mad::mad::mad:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That picture didn't tells much, just that's connecting for to installing the driver. If it stops there, than there's maybe an problem with your physical connection to that other computer (not Printer) or your access rights. That you have to check in all aspects.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Sometimes the share name is too long, try to change it with a short one ex :HPLJ1300 on the computer sharing the printer and verify the access rights. On which os is shared the printer and which os client are you using to connect to ?

6. MAHDi25

MAHDi25 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    No long name and connection is OK but also have old problem.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It looks like that you've a problem in your network config! That could be, as example, the Workgroup if you use Windows Network which seems to be!

The Workgroup should be the same for the attached machines and devices. also network sharing for the whole computers must be enabled.

Check on both machine the Event Log for information about the connection problem to the computer where the printer is connected.

Also, could you access files/drives one the Printer Computer?

8. lordcom

lordcom MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2008
    I used 2 have an HP Color Laser Jet 1600... I gave it the old boot last week... HP didn't have a working driver for Win 8, at least not if U want network printing with that line of printers...

Go and take a look at HP's site and see if U have network support for win 8 in the current driver...

I bought a used Xerox Workcentre C2424 instead... I can't print other than B&W but I can at least print because there are working drivers for all of my pc's and devices...

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    HP is well known for to be later with driver updates on one hand and on the other about the problems with their existing drivers. Even trying using Compatibility Mode didn't works always because HP limits the drivers to work with an specific OS only. That isn't very user friendly at all but part of their business strategy for to sell their new products instead of to be able to carry on to use their older models which are still in good and fully workable condition.