Problem with Toshiba Recovery Wizard when installing Vista from USB

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rushingmom, Oct 13, 2008.

1. rushingmom

rushingmom MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2008
    Newbie to this forum, so please be patient...

I am having problems reinstalling Vista from USB on my son's computer. The CD-ROM drive is not working (not sure if this is an Ubuntu issue or if the drive is toast) so I need to reinstall from USB. My hope is that Vista will correct the drive problem, and if not, I can buy a new one guilt free.

I have formatted the usb drive and xcopied all the files from the recovery cd. I then changed the bios. I am able to successfully get to the recovery menu, but when I try to start the Toshiba Recovery Wizard, it looks for the CDs.:mad:

I have looked through the batch and configuration files and am unsure what to change to make the recovery wizard start. I am able to access the dos prompt, but when I try to make the recovery start manually, I get an error that refers to CD drive.

I am so close to getting this to work. PLEASE HELP. Any ideas would be appreciated!!:D

2. rushingmom

rushingmom MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2008
    update

Have now also tried this with an external cdrom drive with same results. PLEASE HELP>>>

3. AlBogus

AlBogus MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2008
    Toshiba Recovery

I successfully restored my Toshiba 1110 with no CD Rom. The CD Rom on the Toshiba is not robust. Many of them fail. You need a copy of Windows 98 and a Copy of Windows XP. The XP you loaded on your desktop will work because the Windows Production Key should be on the bottom of your computer. You also need to buy an adapter from 40 pin to 44 pin for the EIDE cable. This will cost about $10 and will let you install the laptop HD in your desktop computer.

The problem is that you cannot Windows XP Setup unless you are in windows. You can, however, boot a Dos floppy disk. Windows XP will not run in the Toshiba unless it is set-up from inside the computer. My system involves creating a small partition on the hard drive and loading the contents of the CD into the partition and loading Windows from the partition.

1)Use windows XP in your Desktop to create a large partition C: with the HPFS and a small partition D: (10 GB) FAT.
    2) Copy the contents of the win98 directory on the Windows 98 disk to the same directory on the small partition. Copy the contents of the I386 directory on the XP disk to the same directory on the small partition. Copy the two Setup files from the root of the XP disk to the root of the small directory.
    3)Reinstall the Hard drive in your laptop.
    4)Boot the laptop with windows 98 or XP boot disk.
    5)Setup windows 98 from D:\win98\setup
    6)Boot window98 from D: and install Windows XP from D:\setup.
    7)Download the Lan driver from the internet then install all other drivers from the internet.