Problem with Updates - no way to customize them

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Jul 24, 2015.

  1. MonarchX

    MonarchX MDL Expert

    May 5, 2007
    1,249
    197
    60
    #1 MonarchX, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    So I installed Windows 10 on clean SSD and so far everything is OK, although I had to adjust a TON of settings. There are 2 problems I have.

    - Updates were not completely downloaded, but NVidia drivers and Intel MEI drivers did download and were applied after a restart. However, it now shows both of those updates as "Waiting to install:. I no longer want or need them to install again. I want to be able to customize updating like in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. I had to re-install NVidia drivers because the ones on Windows Update did not come with PhysX or CUDA. In fact, I cannot find any NVidia drivers that support CUDA!
    - I tried to install NET Framework 3.5 (the one for Windows 8.1), but it did not work properly and gave me some error in CMD/DOS window. It also continues to tell me to download and install NET Framework 3.5 for applications like WinRAR to work, but I already have... In fact, WinRAR works, yet Windows keeps telling me to download NET Framework 3.5...

    Then I had some tweak questions:
    - Is there a way to remove the 6 Folders from My PC? I am talking about Desktop, Music, Documents, etc. folders. I have a .reg tweak to remove those from Windows 8.1, but I am unwilling to try it on Windows 10 because it may mess some things up!
    - How do I disable LockScreen?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. s1ave77

    s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

    Aug 15, 2012
    14,305
    18,124
    340
    Mooooment! You say you tried to install .NET 3.5 from Win 8 on Win 10. NICE TRY!!! And it apparently failed.

    Then you wonder Windows keeps nagging about missing .NET 3.5.

    Now it gets cryptic, since you might have downloaded something, but you don't mention you installed successfully.

    SO: Either use the 'Turn Windows Features on or off' or activate with DISM by pointing to mounted Win 10 ISOs \sources\sxs\ folder.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

    MonarchX MDL Expert

    May 5, 2007
    1,249
    197
    60
    OK, I used the download from Windows 10 for NET Framework 3.5 and now there is no nagging, but I wonder if I messed something up by installing NET Framework 3.5 for Windows 8.1. No errors or problems though...

    There is another big problem - I get random Windows Error Reporting windows that last half a second and Even Viewer shows problem updatemanager.exe. How do I fix that? In Windows 8.1 it was possible go into Action Center and disable Windows Error reporting, but the same option does not exist in Windows 10.

    I also disabled Cortana in as many places as possible and yet it shows up as Cortana service/process in Task Manager...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

    s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

    Aug 15, 2012
    14,305
    18,124
    340
    Afaik trying to install wrong .NET should simply stop with error, befor doing any harm.

    No clue for the other question, must answer an other.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MonarchX

    MonarchX MDL Expert

    May 5, 2007
    1,249
    197
    60
    OK, so I found a way to disable Windows Error Reporting, but now I get an "Update Manager stopped working" error every 30 seconds...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MonarchX

    MonarchX MDL Expert

    May 5, 2007
    1,249
    197
    60
    #6 MonarchX, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    (OP)
    OK, now I found that UpdateManager.exe in C:\Users"Username"\AppData\Roaming\UpdateManager folder was the cause of the problem. It was also in my StartUp items. Once I removed it from StartUp - no more error! However, I have NO idea whether this UpdateManager.exe is a part of Windows 10 OS and how vital it is! All of a sudden Windows Update works fine now...

    Could you please check if you have UpdateManager.exe in C:\Users"Username"\AppData\Roaming\UpdateManager ??? At least then I would know its a part of the OS or not.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. crossup

    crossup MDL Junior Member

    Jun 20, 2015
    70
    17
    0
    #7 crossup, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. MonarchX

    MonarchX MDL Expert

    May 5, 2007
    1,249
    197
    60
    Yey! Thanks all! The UpdateManager (or anything else) is not being detected by AdwCleaner, RogueKiller, and Hitman Pro. I just deleted it.

    "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:x:\sources\sxs" - will that solve any possible problems caused by me incorrectly installed NET Framework 3.5 for Windows 8.1 in Windows 10? So far after I downloaded proper NET Framework 3.5 for Windows 10 there have been no problems in that regard.

    The one last problem is Cortana service. I disabled it Cortana everywhere I could, but Cortana service (SearchUI) still pops up in Task Manager. Is there a way to get rid of it?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. crossup

    crossup MDL Junior Member

    Jun 20, 2015
    70
    17
    0
    #9 crossup, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    To check whether you have .Net 3.5 enabled
    Open Powershell with admin perms and type

    Code:
    Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online | Where-Object {$_.State –eq “Enabled”} | Format-Table
    And look for netfx3, if it says enabled then you have it installed

    You cannot get rid of it, without breaking other stuff, atleast I couldn't. However if you do remove it, THEORATICALLY you won't be able to search for apps/programmes/system packages from start menu, it's highly recommended to leave it alone.