Problem with Video players caused by latest (september) updates.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Ricard0, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Ricard0

Ricard0 MDL Novice

May 13, 2020
    #1 Ricard0, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    I came accross the following "problem":
    It might not feel as a big problem to everybody, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
    In all my videoplayers the timestamp which pops up above the "seeking slider" was not really visable and kept flickering. This made it very difficult and frustrating to search for a specific scene or time in a video.

I found out, that this was caused by the latest update kb4577051 (september rollup)
    I have uninstalled this update and after that the irritating effect was gone.
    Than I tried kb4577053 (september's "security only" update and that gave me the same problem again.
    So, although this may not be of importance to everybody, it may very well be that there are similar visual effects or missing stuff in other software that may be caused by these updates.

When the october updates are comming up in two weeks, I would consider uninstalling the september update (either rollup or security only), before installing the october updates.

The players I use are MPC-HC (media player classic) and VLC player.
    Also, I use Windows 7 in "Classic Theme" (I thought I'd mention that because maybe the effect does not occur when you use other settings)
    I had this problem with two different machines. One running Windows 7 Pro, the other one running Windows 7 home premium.

2. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2020
    I'm seeing this issue as well, but on 1500+ systems

reddit.com/r/SCCM/comments/iyj7cd/windows_7_dell_kb4577053

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    That's because they b0rked Classic mode (and the classic overlay Tooltips).

4. Ricard0

Ricard0 MDL Novice

May 13, 2020
    #4 Ricard0, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    (OP)

I first thought I were the tooltips. But all other tooltips look fine. And it doesn't make sense that this occurs when using just the "security only" update.

Thanks for the link. It's always nice to know you're not alone!
    BTW: My video is AMD Radeon.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It's the same like in January, when they broke wallpapers. Let's hope the next updates will fix it. Btw. I'm on 7 and I don't see the problem, possibly because Aero Glass is hardware-accelerated.

6. Ricard0

Ricard0 MDL Novice

May 13, 2020
    There have been so many problems like this. And sometimes you cannot easily remove these updates. That's why I keep using my Norton Ghost 2003 (!) on a USB stick to make a full harddisk image almost every week. I can try anything, create the biggest mess I want, and than go back in time like nothing happened. Makes me sleep a lot better.

7. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2020
    I've tested a few systems now and it looks like both the Classic and Basic themes cause the issue. Switching to Aero Glass has fixed it on everything I've tried it on so far.

8. Ricard0

Ricard0 MDL Novice

May 13, 2020
    #8 Ricard0, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    (OP)
    Same here! But I had forgotten how much I hated these Aero themes!
    It's wasting your eyes and processor capacity...

9. Ricard0

Ricard0 MDL Novice

May 13, 2020
    Problem has been fixed with the october update.