Problem with Win 7 Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gonzakpo, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi all. I wanted to give windows 7 firewall a try and for now it's just giving me a headache. I enabled the outbound protection and I can't browse the internet although I've already created outbound rules for chrome and/or IE.

Does anyone experience this problem too? How can I fix it?.

Thanks.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    you must also create inbound rules dude. I know windows firewall is a pain, if I were you I would get a better firewall. There are a lot of free good ones. I know ZA, Comodo, and PC Tools Firewall Free are all good products dude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Yes I agree get a better firewall than the windows standard one. If you don't want to use some free firewall like Comode, Firewall Free than download ex. Node32 Smart Security or something similar.

4. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Use an internet security instead of antivirus only.. coz it contains firewall too..
    anyway, been using windows firewall for years.. never had such problems..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    #6 berdinatilli, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    actually i like win7 firewall, but, in my opinion it has a flaw, you cant specify domain names in the rules, you have to find out the IPs. :(

i had tested a lot the win7 firewall, i got everything to work properly, even WU. :)

you just have to create outbound rules, because outbound rules allows your computer only to initiate the connection to the outside world and then the proper outside responses to your computer in the same route/connection...

free inbound rules would be a risk to your security, because it allows connection to be initiated from the outside world to your computer.

most outbound rules for applications are easy to configure (just free them on all ports and on all protocols or if you want to be more careful, find out what protocol that specific application uses), only time server and windows update are tricky, because they work through svchost.exe and if you are aware of what exactly happens through svchost.exe you wont be willing to make it fully free to internet access.
    what i mean with tricky is that you have to free svchost.exe only for specific IP addresses, WU especially have rotational IPs, so first you have to find them out...

just a little orientation to begin find out, WU connects to MS and akamai.
    use Tcpview.exe from Sysinternals Suite to see them... ;)

hope this shoot some light into the matter

good luck
    berdi

To Gonzakpo:

make sure you free all ports on TCP for Internet Explorer (outbound only) :)
    good luck

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yes, u should really consider this. Windows firewall is too basic.
    You'll wanna plug those holes, and better do it with a better one lik ESET (formarly NOD32) or AVG Security Suite. Both are the best suites u can get for win7 at the moment, but they're not free. Using AVG suite myself, and it litterally stunned me. And that's no little thing as i always used nod32.
    Allthough if u want to use a free one, comodo isn't bad at all

sincerely

7. Gonzakpo

Gonzakpo MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Actually I was using Eset Smart Security but I wanted to try something else. The main reason is that ESS is not fully compatible with 7 right now (it has issues with homegroups).

Also, I've been reading how good is the new MS Security Essentials, so I wanted to try the combo Ms Security Essentials + Windos Firewall.

Anyway, I think I'll return to ESS because the Win Firewall is a pain to configure. I created the outbound rule for chrome (all ports, all protocols) but I can't access internet yet. Maybe there's something else that the firewall is blocking that is causing this issue ?

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    try comodo if you want something free. it good enough...

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  10. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Sorry! for thread hijacking..

So, i'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 legit on win7 home premium..
    question is, currently i'm not using any firewall except default windows firewall..
    so, can u suggest me a good firewall compatible with kaspersky as well as win7 and which uses less resource on system..?

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, apparantly comodo. If the tests declare it to be the best, then off course it is...and it's free. In fact, I think i'm gonna switch to comodo myself, seeing these charts now.

12. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Mate, i know it passed all the leak tests.. and i suggested the combo with avira and malwarebytes too..
    but i'm talking abt the compatibility with kaspersky.. not all the firewall goes smooth with kaspersky.. got my point..

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    dude just get Kaspersky Internet security 2010 and use Box's Trial Reset mate. You should be good after that. Zone Alarm Firewall Free should work ok for you to though dude.

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    So downloaded avira, but apparently it won't even retrieve any updates.

Been trying to update for half an hour now, but won't connect to it's server.
    Must be on their end, cause FW is removed here, hardware FW disabled.

So this raises some questionmarks as to the reliability of avira's updates.

Any other AV alternatives ?

15. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Its friday night in germany so its probably just that a lot of people are doing their weekly updates.

(Doesnt work for me right now either, i just tried.)

But normally updates are reliable and fast, so rest assured it will work eventually...

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    See that's my point. This should be an issue at all. it should be accessable at all time.
    So every fridaynight updates won't be accessable for avira ? that's a no go for me.

How about avast ? is it's performance comparable to avira's ?

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, broadly speaking but...

I never had Avira update problems, I have to say... Weird...

Mind, Comodo was way too OTT in asking too many Q's all the time and bothering me too much, from my experience....

Of course, I asked for "hands-on experience" setup. You may try automatic. I tried that and sometimes it was blocking stuff that it shouldn't have...

I still think KIS is best... As in "the combination"... And you do not have to pay, really... ;)

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Wasn't so pleased with KIS, tried it. Recource hog compared to some others.

Avira update running for 26 minutes now, still nothing...
    Not a good first impression imho :mad:

Think i'm gonna try avast then. Too bad cause avira seems like a good AV...