Problem with win7 returning unused memory..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by -HITMAN-, Oct 12, 2009.

1. -HITMAN-

-HITMAN- MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I don't know if other users of win7 are experiencing this but when i use a memory intensive app (media center 7) windows takes forever to return the unused memory back to free memory after the app is closed, instead it just keeps the unused memory as still in use, when it's not.

I have 4gb memory which is around 25% in normal usage, when i use Media center it goes up to 72% but hangs at this percentage even though the MC7 app has been closed and can take up to an hour or more to return this memory back as free:(.

Any help to improve this, is this the same for other users, i'm using w7 ultimate x64?

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I've not had any memory issues with Win 7 x64 - although i have 8 gigs :D

Side note, you guys think Win 7 mamages the memory better then vista or xp?

3. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    same here win 7 x64. used media center to stream all the time. never had that issue.....i have 5gb ram

4. -HITMAN-

Aug 19, 2009
    Hmm,

Thanks for the reply's!

I wonder if any of you are using media sharing like me?

I think i'll dig around the services and use process explorer to see if i can find the cause, just done a fresh install and it's still the same.

@Reign_Of_Freedom

Can't recall any memory problems at all with the older Os's but at the moment i'd say win7 is worse for me.

5. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    #5 Reign_Of_Freedom, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    Almost sounds like a DLL is not unloading after you have closed the program.

Try this ...

Open your registry and find the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

Create a new sub-key named 'AlwaysUnloadDLL' and set the default value to equal '1' to disable Windows caching the DLL in memory

Restart Windows for the change to take effect

6. Maliciousone

Maliciousone MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    Couldnt it be SuperFetch keeping it loaded?

7. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I have 2gig currently, and plan on upgrading to 4gig once I deal with some financial issues.

Under Windows XP x64, my base amount of used ram was about 120mb. No 3rd party applications were starting either.
    Under Windows 7, my base amount of used ram after startup completes is 420mb. This is after heavy service tweaking, and no 3rd party applications running. No Video Card software crap starting either, like "CCC" for my ATI card. I can't get it to go lower without compromising my Network or Sound card capabilities.

(Side note: If anyone has a better service tweak guide to free more RAM, post it my way. :D )

In terms of flexibility, I do feel less thrashing when the system is under high load, memory or CPU wise. I used to play World of Warcraft, but not since upgrading to Win7. Not paying that fee anymore. Waiting on Diablo 3 / Starcraft 2 to make any serious judgments about Win7.

I have been steering clear of Windows Media Player/Center since before Windows 7. From codec issues, to incompatibility with certain types of containers for video media, I just felt that it wasn't robust enough to be entrusted as my main media playing application.

Today I use Zoom Player, VLC, and Media Player Classic. Only Zoom is a retail program, and is the most cranky of the three in terms of having all of it's codecs talking nicely with each other. I have had no issues with running all three programs to play movies in AVI, MPG, MKV, OGM, and WMV formats, then closing them and having my RAM usage return to normal.
    I also use VLC and Media Player Classic to stream TV episodes to my television across the room, on a regular basis. No problems there.

If you can't get Windows Media Player/Center to play by the rules, then I highly recommend any of the three programs I listed above. :)

--DKnight

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. lordfrikk

lordfrikk MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Or KMPlayer... it's great application with integrated codecs (=no mess) that plays 99% of video formats. If it fails, I use VLC Player Portable and that one never failed me, but the UI is bit user unfriendly IMO.

9. McArty

McArty MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I use Firefox, ZoomPlayer and Jdownloader, and when starting the memory used is 700mb. aprox.
    After a couple days without re-starting, i end up with more than 1400mb. of memory used, and that is after closing all the programs. I haven´t yet found out what is causing it, but in winXP didnt happen (when i close the aplications, they dont show up in the processes tab at the Task Manager).

Is it possible firefox is leaking memory? How can i find out what is causing all this? I used to re-start the PC only once in a month, and now every couple of days i must do it, cause the resource problems.

10. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #10 DKnight2066, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    @McArty
    My RAM usage does increase over a period of 2-3 days, but not doubling like you describe. Based on what programs you use, I have a theory though:

You use Firefox regularly right? What addons do you have installed in it? I know that when I install Adobe-whatnot into my OS and browser, strange things occur. Firefox 3.5.3 is what I am using, and while it's RAM usage while running is higher than I would like, it returns to normal after closing, and doesn't cause "explorer.exe" to crash, as a few other users on the forum have reported.
    Normally I would recommend upgrading to an x64 edition of any program, but in the case of Firefox, it does exist, but is still under testing. It also has no functional Flash Player addon whatsoever, so unless your visiting websites devoid of Flash content, it's just not viable....yet. :)

Next question: Do you use uTorrent?
    If you do, and click "Open Containing Folder", it will keep flooding you with new "Explorer.exe" processes each time you click. One user on the forums here said he got up to 15 copies running before his comp got sluggish, he opened Task Manager, and saw what was going on.
    Along the same lines, I made sure to UNcheck "Launch Folder Windows In A Separate Process", as this opens a new copy of "Explorer.exe" with each usage as well.

Next Question: JDownloader, is it updated to the latest version?
    I use JDownloader all the time, and I too, tend to have my system running for at least 3 days between reboots. I can say without question that it works well, but is a memory HOG, considering what type of program it is. (I remember the days of Getright. /nostalgia)

Next Question: Do you have any games installed that also require the installation of proprietary Copy Protection Drivers?
    I'm not going to delve into this too deeply, but it suffices to say that just because you are not playing a game, doesn't mean these drivers aren't running in the background, pinging your active processes and chewing up some RAM. They don't always show in Task Manager either. Seeing as Win7 isn't officially Retail yet, these games are installing Vista-compatible Copy Protection drivers, which may or may not function efficiently/properly under Win7. Again, this theory is a long shot at best, but it came to mind and I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion's sake.

Next question: Are all your Drivers current?
    Personally I can't directly relate outdated drivers to increased memory usage, but I just make it a habit of asking this question to err on the side of caution. Computer problems are often chain reactions, many of which start with bad drivers. :)

Next Question: Have you done a Virus scan recently?
    My old laptop got zapped with a Vundo variant, and the first thing I noticed was increasing RAM usage, even with just my standard processes running.

Last Question: Can you post a list of exactly what processes are loading on startup? (including all Microsoft and non-Microsoft system Services) Then if you could post some screenshots of the same, after say a 3-5 day uptime testing period, it may help in finding the cause of this issue.

--DKnight

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
  12. -HITMAN-

Aug 19, 2009
    Thanks all for the helpful replys,

I've managed to whittle this down to only media center 7 causing the problem, other intensive apps return unused memory quite effectivley, no problems with media network or sharing.

It occurs when selecting the movies selection, media center then searches for movie files, which shoots the used memory straight up to 72% and seems to be a file scanning related DLL causing the problem!

Using process explorer worked to some extent but when media center is closed down it's extremely hard to find the offending dll or dll's that are still remaining active due to not being able to track what media center has left behind running along with many other normal processes\dll's being listed!

I have come to the conclusion that the file scanner or relative dll/s are still scanning and keeping a cached amount of system memory open for the movie files info, probably to do with the movies file structure or content somewhere, if i clear Media center of all movie files (i have 150 HD movies) the problem dissappears, media center then only uses 3-4% memory and this returns to free resources as expected when closed.

If i add a few movies it's fine, adding more and more files i can see the memory usage increasing eventually returning to the memory problem again.

I'm now going to re-size all the "folder.jpg" movie cover files to a smaller more media center friendly format as at the moment there is a mixed bag of sizes, some being as large as high definition pixel sizes and are probably too big and causing prolonged scanning\loading in media center.