Problem with Windows 7 folder views

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Whiznot, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I have about 3,500 music album folders. When using Windows XP with the List View in Folder Options I can see 144 album folders without scrolling (three columns of 48). When I view the music folder in Windows 7 no matter which folder view I choose the number of visible folders is severely limited. I hate unnecessary scrolling. Windows 7 has a bad habit of squandering screen space.

Am I missing something? Is there a solution? Maybe I am the only person who finds the Windows 7 interface idiotic.

2. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Thanks for your reply venu. The thread at sevenforums offers a solution that might be hard for many people to implement. I am glad that other users can see that the layout of Windows Explorer in 7 is inefficient. The squandered screen space really hacks me off and I am running 1680X1050. I can only imagine how bad Explorer displays on a netbook. I think that many users will be forced to switch file managers if Microsoft does not offer a simple solution.

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I think what your saying is the "change your view button on the top right of your windows doesn't stay the same layout. I'm not sure the setting to keep it say in list or details. I have noticed it sometimes changes. I get used to clicking button to details which is the view I like most.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    #6 Whiznot, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    (OP)
    Well I was missing something. I was looking for List View under Organize Layout and missed the little folder options icon where List View is located. Going to List View and closing the Navigation Pane renders a much more information. Still, reading folders with the enlarged item height and wider spacing feels reminds me of reading a book for children.

Timesurfer has addressed a related folder options issue that I have to deal with eventually. I mostly still use XP. Maybe Autopatcher will include some good registry tweak modules to easily enhance 7's functionality before too long.