Problems getting Microsoft Visual C++ to update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Moondogy, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    Hello all, I'm currently running running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a HP laptop and lately I've been having problems trying to update my version of Microsoft Visual C++. I haven't updated it in years and every now and then I would run into programs that asks me to install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ on windows 7. Well when I try to get the redistributable from microsoft's site (VC_redist.x64.exe) I get this error saying it doesn't have privileges to modify the file. I tried running it in administrator privileges, I tried turning off my antivirus and still nothing. I thought that maybe updating windows using simplix pack would fix it since I haven't updated in years but still nothing.

23525.jpg

I google around and found a tiny bit of people having the same problems but no one responding to those problems. So I have nothing else to try.

2. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    #4 Moondogy, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    (OP)
    Thanks so should I try just using the AIO Repack first or should I have used AdvancedRun first. I went ahead and run the AIO Repack(before seeing the 3rd post) and after several older libraries it uninstalled, I got this error this time

4647.jpg

5. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Old error for another file.
    Have you cleaned the system and rebooted it?
    Code:
    /aiR - Auto Uninstall mode, remove all detected runtimes.
    Both. Repack trought AdvancedRun.
    AdvancedRun - an elevation program for running programs. You can run cmd.exe through AdvancedRun and type commands there. It's easier when you see the executable file and the parameters passed to it.

6. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    Ok so I had to wait and let the AIO Repack finish and do its thing, it wasn't able to remove several libraries as I kept getting more insufficient privileges errors. In total its these 3 that pop up the most.

C:\Windows\System32\concrt140.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\atl100.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\mfc110.dll

2nd attempt with Advance Run and I still had the same issues. Not sure if I used it right however it did show me some newer messages about several applications that needed to be closed.

01.jpg 02.jpg

I'm really not sure what most of them are for but it kind of sounds like the reason I have insufficient privileges is because something else in the background is using them. I didn't close any of them as I'm not sure what they do or where to find them so I just hit cancel.

7. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    OU. It's really deeply used.
    Closing processes is a one-time installation and will be "corrected" by a reboot. The nuance is that important drivers are indicated there, and during installation, the indicated devices (their performance) may turn off.

Since these are system libraries, it is logical to use them by software.
    If you are afraid to end the processes, then launch the command line and rename the specified files according to the advice above. Before a reboot, the renamed files will be used, after a reboot, the new files will be used.
    Renaming should not be blocked for such libraries, but the command line will also need to be run with higher access rights. In addition, you can get old files back by simple renaming, without looking for files in third-party sources. As a last resort, renaming will require media with live-os.

8. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
  9. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    #9 Moondogy, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    (OP)
    Just making sure. So I should rename all 3 dll's to:

C:\Windows\System32\concrt140.dll.old
    C:\Windows\System32\atl110.dll.old
    C:\Windows\System32\mfc110.dll.old

Then reboot, then try to run AIO Repack with Advance Run? I'm also not all that familiar with command line so would just normal renaming be fine(right click rename)?

Yeah I tried running AIO Repack in safe mode and got an error saying there was missing components or something and couldn't run it.

10. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    1. Run "Advance Run"
    2. Write "cmd.exe" to "Program to Run", press the button "Run"
    3. Write "Rename C:\Windows\System32\concrt140.dll concrt140.dll.old" and press Enter. Repeat for other names.
    4. If the files are renamed, then install new libraries without rebooting.
    5. Restart PC.

As indicated earlier, this way you do not force other programs to stop using files, they will use the old (renamed) files until the PC is rebooted.
    This is a gentle mode that does not force programs to show errors if libraries cannot be found when they are forcibly removed before the programs are restarted.

The third step can be done in different ways. So, the "default" path is already written and there is no need to duplicate it in the file name.

11. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    Is this right? Doesn't seem like it did anything.
    36346.jpg

12. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Yes.
    Repeat for other names. You can only write filenames, because at the beginning of the line is an identical path.
    Then install the packages without rebooting.

13. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    Alright as it turns out there were several more I was missing but didn't pay attention to the numbers. So it was these 6 where I would have insufficient privileges

C:\Windows\System32\atl110.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\mfc110.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\mfc120.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\mfc140.dll

So I went back and rename the rest to .old all while getting a new error about needing to verify the use of those .dll's.

363463.jpg

Of the 6 its these 4 ask that I need to verify that I have access to that directory. I have no idea what it means by this, I get no other messages and hitting retry does nothing as usual. I'm doing all this with Advanced Run using trusted installer option. I haven't rebooted yet

C:\Windows\System32\mfc120.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\mfc140.dll

14. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Hm. There are two options.
    1) Check if the specified files exist. You will be informed of the file parameters or the absence of a file.
    Code:
    dir concrt140.dll
    2) Affects redirecting x86/x64 using the SysWOW64 folder.
    Code:
    cd c:\windows\SysWOW64
    rename concrt140.dll concrt140.dll.old
    If that doesn't help, ie. renaming in both folders, then it remains only to restart the PC. Then check for the presence of files in the folders. Unlikely, you may receive messages when you run a number of programs. Therefore, making sure that there are no files, proceed with the installation.

15. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
  16. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
  17. Moondogy

Moondogy MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2016
    Yeah all of the dll's are there and untouched(really old modified dates).

I'm not sure what that mean by this.

18. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    What was discussed earlier. Start the installation of the driver package via "Advance Run".
    It is logical that you need to rename the files in two folders. All commands are given above. You just need to use the information.

19. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    I think a clean simplix'd install would've been much more painless and would've saved all this time.