Problems installing Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by antonio8909, Sep 5, 2020.

1. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    Hello,

I'm facing some problems when I try to install Ubuntu with Windows (Dual Boot) and when I try to install just Ubuntu.

Ubuntu-Windows problem:
    At first, I always install Windows 10 and afterwards, I run the Ubuntu Live USB in order to get Ubuntu with GRUB installed for choosing which OS I want to run at a later time. Once it is installed, Ubuntu asks me to restart the PC and unplug the USB. When the restart scenario comes, it always starts with Windows 10 and everytime I try to install GRUB with a Rescue USB, it doesn't work.

Problems when I want to install just Ubuntu
    When I faced the dual-boot issue, I thought about installing Ubuntu first and afterwards create a partition for Windows and create GRUB at a later time. When Ubuntu asks me to restart after the installation process, I can see a sentence that dissapears in a second that says something about "Boot0001 with label 'ubuntu' for file "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi" and it enters into a reboot loop which can only be fixed if I reinstall Windows.

My Mini PC is set up for run at Legacy mode with Secure Boot disabled and I can't figure out what it's the problem with Ubuntu.

Is there something that I can do in order to fix this?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    #2 verndog, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    are you sure you have gpt and not mbr setup?
    What is the output of "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" .
    if you have nvme ssd drive, use nvme0n1 instead of sda

3. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    You should definitely install Windows first and then run Ubuntu Live USB, but before that, instead of Legacy mode chose UEFI mode, with Secure Boot enabled (the later only if you have an ATI video card, otherwise disable it). Also, take a look at this pinned post by @John Sutherland, you will find it very useful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #5 ipx, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

5. anansay

anansay MDL Member

Jul 13, 2020
    You may wish to try Arch Linux. It's a rolling release.

6. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #9 ipx, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022