Problems installing Win7 on a PC that came with 8.1.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Katsuobushi, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Katsuobushi

Katsuobushi MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2018
    So I downloaded the 7 iso from adguard and placed it on rufus, had to use my usb2 port, but it booted, I formatted the USB drive into MBR with BIOS or UEFI-CSM instead of GPT, I then get to the install page and it says Windows cannot be installed on this partition. Even when I delete all of the partitions, I remember years ago I did something else but my laptop back then did not have UEFI capabilities, I have no idea what to do. Any help please :).

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm trying to remember how to do it... damn! I knew how to

3. Katsuobushi

Katsuobushi MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2018
    By the way if anyone is wondering, yes I have disabled secure boot and enabled legacy. Also what exactly does that file entail? Thanks :).

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What iso you're talking about and what machine?

5. Katsuobushi

Katsuobushi MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2018
    Windows 7 SP1 x64, my machine came with Windows 8.1 Core x64.

6. Katsuobushi

Katsuobushi MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2018
    What happened to that file you uploaded, and what was it for anyways, like what did it entail, what did it do?

7. Katsuobushi

Katsuobushi MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2018
    Mine didn't say anything about GPT, I can't really remember, but maybe that's the issue, however I have one USB and won't waste making my PC unusable if I don't know for sure. What would be a way to install with USB3 drivers in GPT/UEFI mode?

8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    An oem pc, dell hp etc? Put 8.1 embedded industry enterprise on it, its a good os, it has the store but none of the apps, it installs from usb without having to slipstream drivers and your oem will have drivers for it.

9. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Core is home so it will have store apps, embedded doesnt and it may have more privacy options availible being enterprise.

10. Katsuobushi

Katsuobushi MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2018
    Well thanks guys, I'll probably just stick with 8.1 and use a 7 or Vista theme lol. :)

11. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #15 LittlePro, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Hi All,
    Greets,
    @Katsuobushi : Mam,
    It seems you are already having win 8 & trying to make a dual boot with windows 7. Isn't it ?

( I had the same issue earlier & now i am up with win7 UEFI+GPT installation. I may probably help you with! )

Let us know.

Thanks & Regards. ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    in my humble opinion, install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB and forget the rest

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    :rolleyes:

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep simple dude, that's how things work today ;)

15. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    OP never mentioned 10, if he had wanted to install it he would have said so. I have suggested he stick to the original os because of its factory driver support.

So much for "Sometimes old things work much better than new... "

16. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Your problem is that you're trying to install win7 using UEFI on MBR disk. You have to convert your disk to GPT and the problem shoul be solved as booting win7 on UEFI needs GPT disk so that the installation can be done.
    So when the partition window appears, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window.
    then you enter these lines :

diskpart
    select disk <disk number>
    clean
    convert gpt
    exit

you close the command prompt and now you shoumd be able to install win7 on the partition.