problems installing windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by drhemlock2, Oct 28, 2009.

1. drhemlock2

drhemlock2 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    okay for the past few days i have read through this forum as to how to install windows 7 from the microsoft download of the windows 7 enterprise version. Now i wanted to install the ultimate version. I have power ISO and mounted a drive say k: and loaded the iso into this virtual drive. of course the screen to install came up so i exited it. i then went to the k: version and edited the ei.cfg file as described in this forum on how to load the ultimate version i did this and restarted the install from the virtual drive and it came back saying that this is not a microsoft iso and would not install. no matter what i did it would not work. so i extracted it using winrar to another directory say "windows 7" and edited the ei.cfg again to try and load the ultimate version this time it seemed to work when i started the install from this extracted version. the install window came up and i clicked install and it proceded to install. when finished it had installed the enterprise version, i then did the removeWAT file i downloaded here. i am curious as to what i did wrong? i would perfer the ultimate version. i am on dial up so it was almost impossible until i found a place with dsl to get this file:

7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_enterprise_en-us_EVAL_Eval_Enterprise-GRMCENEVAL_EN_DVD.iso.dlm

thanks in advance:confused:

2. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Are you doing a test install into a virtual machine?

To edit a file in an ISO you don't have to mount it.
    Just open the ISO with PowerISO, find the file you want to edit, extract it to your drive somewhere, edit it, import back into the ISO and overwrite existing file, then save.

3. Ru1ey

Ru1ey MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    You cannot install ultimate from enterprise, you will need to download one of the retail versions to install ultimate

4. drhemlock2

drhemlock2 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    no not to a virtual machine i installed it onto another partition on my drive
    i will attempt to edit the ei.cfg as you suggested and burn a copy to install.
    thanks
    doc

5. drhemlock2

drhemlock2 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    i looked on the dvd and the ultimate files are there i read somwhere in the windows 7 forum that it can be installed from it perhaps i am wrong...please forgive and forget.
    thank
    doc

6. Ru1ey

Ru1ey MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    Enterprise is nearly the exect same as ultimate

7. drhemlock2

drhemlock2 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2009
    this is good news

i have not really looked at the differences between the many falvors yet i am downloading the winodws 7 Bible? to see the differences. i can tell you one thing i have been using windows xp since it came out and i need to read up on windows 7 it seems a little different. sort of like when i tried vista went right back to xp we will see....
    thanks
    doc