problems integrating .NET 3.5.1 updates into Windows 7 x64 ISO

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by computerbutler, Jul 22, 2013.

1. computerbutler

computerbutler MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2013
    Morning everyone. I'm having a hell of a time integrating .NET 3.5.1 updates into a Windows 7 x64 ISO/WIM file. I'm using the Windows Download Integrator v3.3 and the message I get is "cannot add x86 update to x64 image" or something similar.

Here's the thing: the updates will integrate successfully on a Windows 7 x86 ISO. Any ideas??

2. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    It's exactly like it says!!
    You need to download x64 updates for a x64 operating system.

x86 an x64 are different.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Some 32bit updates will work on 64bit but .net updates!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. computerbutler

Jul 22, 2013
    Obviously, I downloaded x64 updates for the x64 image, but they still will not integrate.

P.S. - I'm a Systems Administrator. You can assume I've already tried everything I can think of before posting here. ;)

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That shouldn't be any problem for an System Administrator! Except for sure if you're a System Administrator for an AS400?! Or similar.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. computerbutler

Jul 22, 2013
    Alright Ladies and Gents,

I used the Windows Hotfix Downloader that Urie suggested, and it integrated the .NET 3.5.1 updates into the Windows 7 ISOs beautifully. However... they still will not integrate into Windows 8 ISOs (nor will any .MSU updates for .NET 4.5...??). The .MSU files will add to the list, and it will mount the WIMs and appear to process everything normally... but when I re-zip the files into an ISO and install Windows 8, about one-third of the updates are still listed in Windows Update, meaning they did not integrate. Any ideas?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The reason this is a big deal for me is that I have a large amount of PCs to touch, but I don't have a way of using Microsoft SCCM/MDT/etc. to prepare & deploy the images because the PCs aren't all connected to the same network. If I can get this to work, I plan on creating a website to host these ISO files at - I mean the community at large might as well benefit from my toils.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You have to enable the netfx3 first.
    dism /image:c:\yourmountfolder /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /limitaccess /source:c:\win8dvd\sources\sxs

Then you can integrate the net3.5.1 hotfixes.

9. computerbutler

Jul 22, 2013
    Can you elaborate on your thinking? If netfx3 wasn't enabled in the first place, why would the updates for it be shown after the installation? Does it get enabled during installation? I would beg the same question for the .NET 4.5 updates too... :(

10. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #11 steven4554, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    The reason why the .NET 3.5.1 updates won't integrate is because, those updates are for Win7 only, not 8. You need to download the same updates but for Win8, so they will integrate.

11. computerbutler

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm not using the same .MSU files from the Windows 7 process; I downloaded the .MSU files for Windows 8 .NET 3.5 and 4.5 directly from the M$ Update Catalog.

12. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Did you enable the .NET 3.5 in Win8 image? cause you need to that before integrating the .NET 3.5 updates.

13. computerbutler

Jul 22, 2013
    I haven't enabled it. However after installation, I still don't enable it, but the updates for the .NET 3.5.1 and .NET 4.5 are shown in Windows Update, so I am assuming they get enabled automatically during installation. I'm probably just going to have to mount the WIM and enable those features, then re-package the WIM and run the updates.

14. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #15 murphy78, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can install all sorts of kb files in offline mode. It doesn't do the necessity check that running msu files from the OS does. It's just kind-of a quirk of offline updates.
    If you want to verify the necessity of any updates so that you are not installing tons of unnecessary ones from a repository, you should install a baseline image in a VM and check wuapp.exe for the kb files listings.
    Then you tab to your normal os and download them from ms download center or ms update catalog. Toss them in a folder with the trusty ol' WUSA script:

Code:
    @echo off
    pushd %~dp0
    for /f %%A in ('dir /b *.msu') do (
    echo == Installing Updates == "%%A" ...
    C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe %%A /quiet /norestart
    )
    echo.
    echo ########################################
    echo.
    echo == Updates installed ==
    echo.
    echo == Press any key to restart ==&pause>nul
    echo.
    shutdown.exe /r /t 0

Then copy the script and the updates to a usb drive and mount it in your vm. Run the script as admin and repeat the wuapp check after reboot.
    When you've nailed down all the updates, just use those for your offline image so you don't have tons of unnecessary and outdated ones..

15. computerbutler

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks for the script, but there seems to be a misunderstanding here: the initial installation of Windows 8 starts out with the .NET 3.5.1 and .NET 4.5 packages enabled by default - I'm not enabling them manually after the installation is finished. If they are already enabled in the WIM file, it follows that the MSU updates should integrate successfully... but they aren't.

So either: 1) the .NET features aren't enabled in the WIM file, but they get enabled during the installation process (which is stupid, if true), or 2) something is wrong/not working with the integration of the MSU updates. Can anyone confirm or refute #1?

16. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Only .NET 4.5 is enabled by default in both offline and after installation, but .NET 3.5.1 is disabled by default in both scenarios and needs to be manually re-enabled if you wish to use programs or games that depend on 3.5

17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    We've all said it many times now. You have to do a dism command to /enable-features for net3.5.1 on win8.
    I've posted the command already in this thread.

18. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #19 Atari800XL, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    And another confirmation. Yes, you need to enable NetFX3 manually for Windows 8/8.1.
    Believe me, because half the time, I forget to modify my install.wim when a new 8/8.1 version comes out (preview, rtm, 32/64 bit, whatever), and every time my little "PostInstall" setup starts complaining right away, because one of the first programs to be installed requires net 3.5, and shows the dreaded "feature not installed" window.

Code:
    dism /mount-wim /wimfile:e:\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:d:\mount
    dism /image:d:\mount /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /source:e:\win8\sxs /limitaccess
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:d:\mount /commit