Problems updating W10 Enterprise LTSB N

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by prozinhubr, Sep 8, 2017.

1. prozinhubr

prozinhubr MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2014
    I can't seem to install 4034658 or any newer Cumulative Updates correctly, my PC reboots, the "preparing updates" or whatever messages shows up, it gets to like 30~45% then reboots again and the "Undoing changes" message shows up and it fails. Same thing with the previous CU (july or may, don't remember). Anyone with similar problems? I've searched for it but not many people with these problems and the Microsoft answers really never fix anything.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Maybe you can try to delete "c:\windows\softwaredistribution" and retry (stop the WU services or go into safeboot and delete the folder).

3. prozinhubr

prozinhubr MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2014
    #3 prozinhubr, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    (OP)
    I tried doing that, also tried downloading the update manually from microsoft and double-clicking it but it's always the same thing. Do you think it might be related to dual-booting? I use GRUB to select between linux and W10

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Set Win 10 as default bootloader in msconfig and try again to test

Disable / Uninstall AVs

Run sfc /scannow

5. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I actually dual-boot Debian Sid along side Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/debian-9-stretch-released.74542/#post-1359524 and do not have this problem (Grub is my boot manager too). I would suggest checking your windows update logs and see exactly what the error is. Further, as @MrMagic said, disable any anti-virus or security programs you may be using (it could be conflicting). Finally, have you "customized" the install? If you made your own homebrew, it could be something did not exactly patch right and you ended up with a bad install from the start.

6. Windows Python

Windows Python MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2017
    I am downloading Windows 10 LTSB as I type. Should I install the regular LTSB version or the LTSB N version (without media player)? Which one is recommended? I am not going to use WMP by the way, I would use Potplayer for video playback.

I can see from the list that there are .iso and .svf files available for LTSB. I know about iso, but how does one install svf?? Sorry this forum is too large to find these info.

Can someone help me out? I have finally found my favorite Windows version, don't want to screw it up.

7. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Back then Win7 era a few games and applications (can't remember which) need WMP to work, it is safe to assume you will be fine without it these days because that was a terrible dependency choice and alienates N edition OS userbase.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    It must have been something you've changed and in which case you will need to either figure out what that was and undo it (good luck) or accept that you'll need to start over.

10. Windows Python

Sep 6, 2017
    I have just installed LTSB. Chose to install the regular version (not N), because I just starting to learn Python and I don't want to face any bizarre difficulty while importing media related libraries. But I am stuck in KB4034658 update. It is taking AGES. I would prefer to manually download and install it instead.

The MS Update Catalog site is showing this:
    wwwDOTcatalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4034658 (sorry can't post links yet)

The update seems to be massive. Should I download the cumulative update or delta update? Can anyone please help me out on this one?

11. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    1607 LTSB have never received image refresh so a full CU is required for fresh installs. Then you can use Delta update for next coming months if there are any.
    It is best to learn what Delta update/patch does to make better sense of it.

Alternatively, i integrate updates to an offline OS image before perform fresh installation, just so i don't need to deal with the first huge CU while Windows running live with plenty running processes need to be updated. Lesser chance to encounter issue that way imo.

12. Windows Python

Sep 6, 2017
    Thanks @vuze4u , I have installed the cumulative update. It took 1 night though!