Problems with changing file extension casing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by halo512k, Oct 6, 2008.

1. halo512k

halo512k MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2008
    OK folks, I'm sure someone out there is going to think this is easy.... Vista is putting all my .jpg files into .JPG. Normally not a problem, except I'm using this computer to build html4 pages for an apache server. I can view the pages I built just fine, but once uploaded, the server does not recognize .JPG and looks only for .jpg.

In other words, I can't build a html gallery with vista unless I can get the thing to allow lower case file extensions. I've tried renaming them, it puts the uppercase back on. I've tried using ifranview (only batch renamer I've found that vista will load) and it vista seems to be putting the uppercase file extension back on AFTER IFRANVIEW CHANGES IT TO LOWERCASE.

This is making me crazy... Anyone know where the setting is or how I can change vista to allow lowercase file extensions? I'm having to create file names like

Image001.jpg.JPG by hand to keep my website alive the last two weeks...

2. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    This should resolve your problem...:rolleyes:

Extract the archive and double click to merge the reg file.

Attached Files:

• aa.rar
      File size:
      281 bytes
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. halo512k

halo512k MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2008
    #3 halo512k, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
    (OP)
    Ok... no idea what that means really...

Soon as I find a copy of .rar shareware I'll try to unzip it...

aaahh...heh, that changes my registery.. is there a way of doing this that does'nt have the potential of turning my new comp into a 1300 dollar paperweight?

4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    It is 100% risk free, no need to worry about damging your computer...:D
    It is just a Windows tweak, doesnt has to do anything with your hardware.
    BTW. Here is a reg file to undo the changes whenever you like.

Attached Files:

• Undo.rar
      File size:
      280 bytes
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. halo512k

halo512k MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks for that.. unknown files frighten me a bit.. I'll try it after my nap

6. Ken1951

Ken1951 MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2008
    It's easier than you think

there's actually no need to download anything to change file extensions from upper to lower....... simply open Control Panel then open Folder Options then click on View .... then un-tick Hide Extensions for known files types. Now you'll be able to explore and find the file you want to change to lower cas..... the file will now show it's extension and you can rename the files to lower case .... ie 123.JPG to 123.jpg it's as simple as that :)