Product Key Problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by violet06, Oct 23, 2009.

1. violet06

violet06 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    I just bought window 7 home premium upgrade and i am installing it on my dell dimension c521 when i am asked to put my product key in it tells me "INVALID PRODUCT KEY" how could that be its brand new bought out of walmart today, can i please get some help on this issue

violet06

2. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Are u sure, u r typing it correct..? cross check it the key..
    Also, it should be 25 digit key..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. violet06

violet06 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Yes im certain, i even tried the product key on the side of my dell and it says the same thing

4. poi2

poi2 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2009
    Also keep in mind those upgrade versions need to see a prior genuine activated OS before they'll go in.

If you're going to a blank hard drive or there's something wrong with your prior install, you'll have problems.

And of course whatever product key you have on the side of your Dell wouldn't work. It can't be a Windows 7 key unless you bought it today, and even if it was, it wouldn't be an upgrade key.

5. violet06

violet06 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    How do i get a genuine activated os? and i am installing it on a blank drive, the reason i tried the product key that on the side of my dell for my windows 7 disc is because it asked me to do so if my product key did not work. is there anything else i can do?

violet06

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Upgrade discs are made so you can lets say upgrade from Starter to Pro. You still have to have the first one like in my example Starter activated prior to upgrading to Pro. If you already did this then it is probably because not all of the Microsoft Activation Servers are online yet. Wait til tomorrow then try again man.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Proz

Proz MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    Maybe you should have bought the " full " version instead of "upgrade" to install on a blank drive ?????

8. violet06

violet06 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Im sorry i forget to mention my previous os was windows xp if that matters or not

9. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I'm sure they are online, it would be dumb for them not to be, but the question is this, are they being overloaded by millions of people trying to activate new installs? Very likely! :) However, I think the OP is saying that during the install the key is not being taken. This is before the key is validated, because he has not gotten to the desktop and been given a chance to activate yet.

10. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    You can't install an upgrade on a blank drive; there should be an "old" os in it. Suggested course of action: Reinstall your windows xp on the blank drive. Create another partition on the drive if there's only one; this is where you will install the windows 7 upgrade. Proceed to install windows 7 on the blank partition. Good luck.

11. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    What am thinking the upgrade route is gone back to old way blank hd ask for key for proof of old os and will do a clean install of seven try one of the vista slp in the vista list and see what happens:)

12. Proz

Proz MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2009
    Are you sure you can " upgrade " a blank HDD .... lol ...which noob told you that ..

13. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
  14. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Easiest way is to fresh install windows 7 using a downloaded / edited version of your iso remove the Upgrade section to Retail install without a key, insert your key to activate it.

15. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Perhaps install wi7 Rc and then upgrade could possible work?

16. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    No it is not. Did you read the technet article?

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, what I would do is either download a copy of Home Premium, I can give you a AIO .ISO if you want. Then use your activation key to activate Home Premium or download a copy of Starter, activate that with a loader or something like that, then use your upgrade disk to give yourself Home Premium. Let me know if you want my AIO version too dude and I can upload it. :)

18. daz411

daz411 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
  19. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Yeah sucks you can't upgrade from Windows XP I'm surprised you didn't know this. It was pretty much pushed on microsoft's site that it you weren't able to do this. I would do like everyone here is saying; download the starter and upgrade from that. Or download Vista Home? or something and just upgrade from that.

20. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    win7 upgrade

what i did was,full clean install from boot,do not put key in.then do an upgrade install within windows.worked for me,i have done full clean installs using an upgrade disc this way.