Product Key specific to HW ID and/or Windows Edition?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wuhoatu, Oct 12, 2015.

1. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I already upgrade my Latitude from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and new Windows 10 Product key can be used to activate clean installation for my lappy. The question is:
    The new Windows 10 Product key is specific to my lappy's hardware to the Windows edition which I have installed and cannot be used to other PC nor other edition of Windows 10?
    Or I can use that Product key to install other edition of Windows to my lappy, ie x86 instead of x64?

2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

3. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    That means I cannot use the product key of x64 version for x86 and vice versa?
    Many THX.

4. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Yes you can clean install and change 32 to 64 bit and it should auto-activate on same hardware. You needn't enter the key if it was already activated.

You can't change version (Single Language to Home or Pro).

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK:
    If the user has followed the MS Rules and Updated from older Windows first, and that auto-activated with no problems, He didn't use any Product Key on that same machine any more, neither by Clean Install nor Update etc. Just the initial install was need to be an upgrade from the older Windows!!

The user even must ignore to insert any Product Key after that initial Upgrade, and if he does, he'll end up in Windows 10 Trial Mode.

Within the initial Upgrade from Older Version, the HWID will be captured and stored on Microsoft's Activation Server's. And further on, that HWID is used for to reactivate Windows (and also continue to check the legal status) in case of need, even if an new and clean install has been done.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Can you tell me the same rules implied for Enterprise LTSB edition ?
    I mean is that particular version is also tied to an HWID send to MS or the KMS activation is the only need for activation ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Simple answer: NO!

The fact is, the Enterprise Versions are NOT part of the special Upgrade Deal from Microsoft because they're Business Version. Also, the Activation Process differs from normal versions. Enterprise versions get activated via a KMS Service only for 180 day's max. There several methods to bypass those and install a so-called Auto-KMS, which will re-activate automatically every few days. Read more about that on this forum.

8. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks you for response.

I have already read a lot about KMS activation schemes. My question was only focused on the HWID sent by others activation installation / upgrade.
    So, I can conclude that NO HWID is sent when installing an Enterprise Edition.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No, it wouldn't! You just wouldn't contact the Microsoft Activation Server for Activation, insteed you'll will activate over an KMS Server/Service!