Program Files Folder on a diffrent partition - Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by camille93, Dec 19, 2009.

1. camille93

camille93 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2007
    Hi,
    After I installed Windows 7 64Bit today, I wanted to change the location of the Program Files folders (the 64Bit and the 32Bit one) in the registry.

It all seemed to work fine, at least for the 64Bit Apps. Cause with 32Bit Apps, I have the problem that the new folder location isn't recognized by any installer, so all the 32bit apps are still installed into the old directory. But the strangest thing is that the shortcuts created for these Apps link to the new directory, so naturally the shortcut's won't work cause there aren't any files in the new directory.

What do I have to do so that 32bit Apps get installed into the new directory?

I hope someone's able to help me... :)

Greets, camille93

PS: Sorry for my (probably) bad english ;)

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It is posible but a total waste of time because when installing programmes certain files go into windows it's not as if you could format and reinstall windows and the programs you have in program files would work most wouldn't they need to be reinstalled again.

3. camille93

camille93 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2007
    You're probably right, but fact is that it worked fine with the 64Bit-Apps folder; only the one for 32Bit-Apps does make strange things, even tough I changed exactely the same parameters for both, so normally it sould work fine shouldn't it?

Greets

4. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I agree with urie that to modify the place of the folder Program Files is loss of time because many files will be ever installed at Windows directory.

Regarding to your problem, generally the majority of the applications offers the option to modify the localization of the installation during setup, none of your installations offered this option to you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...