Progress bar for sorting explorer columns???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by soretito, Nov 22, 2009.

1. soretito

soretito MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    This may sound as a stupid question, but this is bugging me bigtime since I installed w7.

When applying a sort field to a windows explorer folder, say name, date, etc on a folder with a lot of items instead of being done almost instantly like in XP, it takes a lot of time, sometimes more than 30secs, for example photo folders in detail view (no thumbnails)

How can I regain the speed here?

Thanks!

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    change the folder view to "details", and then go to folder options -> apply for all folders.

3. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    you should re-read my previous post, I am in details view, I just made a quick and dirty video to show what I mean, will post it ASAP

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
  5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Do you have all latest drivers installed ? chipset drivers from vendor, graphics, sata,...

Also the 320gig drive, I suppose it is SATA ? Anyway it's wise to use a partition on the 1.5TB drive as boot drive, cause it's a lot newer, has a faster interface, more cache and so on, and will probably perfrom way better. I'd say the low cache of the 320Gb drive will have something to do with this.

What's the drive's indexing score in system properties ?

6. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
  7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    5.7 is good. I have exactly the same score on primary drive, so that is not the issue at all.

can't see that task list. might wanna edit.

8. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    refresh the post, I saw my name all over it so I reuploaded it :)

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I see it's a laptop. The "COM surrogate service" sort of flickered my eye there.
    COM Surrogate (dllhost.exe) is an application that is often used by Windows Explorer to isolate itself from buggy codecs (if explorer would load the codecs in its own process, it would crash as it did in XP, so explorer spawns dllhost to actually process the thumbnails, etc. outside of its process space).
    I bet there's your cullprit.

Upgrading the codecs installed on the machine should fix the vast majority of your issue.

Also I should try with indexing completely disabled.

10. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    no, its not a laptop, is a desktop.

How do I check what codecs are installed? and eventually how do I upgrade or disable them?

Also where do I disable the indexing service?

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #16 genuine555, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    If somehow this didn't solve it, I'll scratch my head a few times when I get up in about 5 hours, and pick it up then.

Gen

EDIT :

Desktop ? with a fingerprint option ? cool (saw the Fingerprint service -> usually with laptops)

Indexing -> righclick a drive and uncheck the box at the bottom (the one that says "blablaindexing..."). Choose "apply to underlying subcontainers...". Then let it do it's thing. When messages for files that can't be read popup, just click ignore all, and let it proceed.

12. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    the indexing service is being stopped in all the disks, takes a while to set all the files.

How do I check the installed codecs?

I had a MS fingerprint reader, but some MS f**khead decided it wont be compatible with w7 anymore, so I purchased an EIKON fingerprint reader, its great when your computer is shared by more than one person as we can log or switch users by sweeping the finger.

Later I read that I can get a refund for the MS readers, I didn't call them yet.

Anyway, thanks for the ongoing help! Im sure we will sort this problem out.

13. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    The address bar of explorer doubles up as a progress bar when searching or sorting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    Yeah I know, but it takes awfully long time when sorting pictures, and Im trying to solve that.

Just checked re-sorting the system32 folder with more than 3000 files and its done in a snap, so the problem is with pictures folders.

15. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Try this

• Click the Organize button on any folder, and choose Folder and Search Options from the menu.
    • Click the View tab, and then check the Always show icons, never thumbnails checkbox.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...